1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital inputs on Pioneer 2011

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by davidhunter, Jun 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Been writing a lot lately still waiting for my amp and am getting bored. Anyway the question is :-

Can you play the digital signal from a CD Transport (my TEAC T1) straight into the Pioneer 2011 or do I still need an offboard DAC (QED Digit which is not exactly great quality).

Cheers for any response

Davy

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Hi

Just plug it straight into the Pioneer either via coaxial or optical depending on what connection your CD transport has.:)

3. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers Jase,
    I take it you have done this as we tried in the shop before I ordered it with an Arcam transport and it didnt work. Thought it was unusual that it didnt. Do you owna 2011 ? what do you think of it overall.

Davy

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Nope, I've got a Denon. What signal were you feeding it then? Should just pass the digital straight through to the amp and use it's internal DAC's.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Just a thought. Had the shop assigned the digital input to the correct source?? e.g Coax assigned to CD input.

6. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yep as far as I could tell they had assigned it properly. I commented on it a few weeks later and one of the other guys tried telling me that because its a digital signal it wont work. I said thats what these amps work on taking a digital signal DACing it and making an analogue sound he then said that the digital signal from a Transport is different than from a DVD player which is DACed internally then changed bac by ADC. Now I always thought the whole idea of a digital output was that you bypassed the internal DAC's but I gave up at this point and thought I would ask the real Hi-Fi / AV enthusiasts. I know there is something about different sampling frequencies and output frequencies but I thought it should still work. May have been something wrong with this 2011 mind you as it seemed/ seems to be travelling Scotland at present and looks like its already had one hell of a hammering.

Cheers

Davy

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    :eek: Sounds like a salesman to avoid! He either hasn't got a clue or is confused, one or the other.

The digital signal gets converted to analogue by the receiver/amp/processor for cd, dvd etc. The sample rate for CD is the same regardless of the transport used (unless there is some sort of upsampling going on).

For multichannel DVD Audio, SACD etc the conversion is done in the player and the analogue signal is fed to the amps external decoder inputs. Some amplifiers (Denon A1SR for one) have Bass Management on their External Decoder Inputs and will convert that signal to digital again, do their bass management and convert back to analogue. This can be switched OFF or ON. Maybe the sales bloke is getting confused with this feature (which isn't common!).

The other reason as you have suggested could just be a duff amp.:(

8. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer VSX-D2011, and use the digital inputs without any problems from my freeview receiver, CD and MD players. This by-passes the players' DACs, and uses the Pioneer's DACs, as the amp receives the pure digital signal. Using this method rather than analogue inputs allows you to use the hi-bit upsampling of the Pioneer.

I can only imagine that the amp you looked at was faulty, or that they had not assigned the Digital Input to the right Input Function correctly.

9. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Strange Jase that was my sentiment exactly when he started down the road of DAC no DAC digital signal not compatable ADC etc etc my first thought was you dont know a scooby. Good to hearit works on your Sunil looking forward to trying it.

Davy