1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Input Question please.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Paul O, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all,

I am looking at the Yamaha HTR-5640RDS (downloaded the user manual, but it came down with model RXV-440RDS. I am assuming that they are the same just different colours?? I'm after a silver one)...

My DVD player outputs digital via Coax NOT optical. However, the Yammy has both inputs but says that the Coax is for the CD and the Optical is for the DVD.

If I plugged the DVD into the Coax, would it still pick up all the dolby soundracks AND route through the DVD video picture (as they are both effectively different selections for the amp arent they?).

I have longed hoped for an amplifier which can cope with all the inputs AND display accurately what is being used!(e.g. I can plug the TV into the TV sockets, the DVD player into the DVD and not the CD etc!).

Is this the amp for me at a decent price, or is this coax thing going to fowl up my plans?? Please can anyone clarify?

On a side note HCC doesn't appear to have reviewed hardly any of Yamaha's current line of players (looking through the reviews in the back of the mag). Any ideas why??

Cheers,

Paul.

2. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul, my gut feeling is that it would work without the following. However:

Have a look in the manual to see if there is something called I/O or input/output assignment. I have a Yamaha DSP AZ2 and with that feature you can reassign jacks according to the equipment to be used. You basically use the remote to tell the CD jack that it is now a DVD jack and that is how it will behave from then onwards.

The video picture is routed through a different lead (component, preferrably). The optical/coaxial are strictly audio.

To be absolutely certain you should email Yamaha, they are very helpful.

3. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    SDH,

Many thanks for your reply. I have looked through the instructions, and indeed it does have this option! fanstastic! Also noted that I can assign the MiniDisc to the other digital input too. Absolutely brilliant!!! :clap:

I will contact Yamaha also as you suggested to make sure that this manual does actually correspond to the machine I wish to purchase.

Thanks again,

Paul.

INPUT 1 I/O ASSIGN (input/output assignment)

You can assign jacks according to the component to be
    used if this unit’s COMPONENT VIDEO input jack or
    DIGITAL INPUT/OUTPUT jack settings (component
    names for jacks) differ from those of the component. This
    lets you to change the jack assignment and effectively
    connect more components.
    Once assigned, select that component with INPUT (or the
    input selector buttons on the remote control).
     1A for COMPONENT VIDEO INPUT jacks
    Choices: [A] DVD, VCR, V-AUX, D-TV/CBL
    DVD, VCR, V-AUX, D-TV/CBL
     1C for OPTICAL INPUT jacks
    Choices: (1) MD/CD-R, CD, VCR, V-AUX,
    D-TV/CBL, DVD
     1D for COAXIAL INPUT jack
    Choices: (2) MD/CD-R, CD, VCR, V-AUX,
    D-TV/CBL, DVD
    Notes
    • You cannot select a specific item more than once for the same
    type of jack.
    • When you connect a component to both the COAXIAL and
    OPTICAL jacks, priority is given to the input signals from the
    COAXIAL jack.

4. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, glad I could help. And you're right, it's the same amp with a different designation for different colours (black and silver). :smashin: