Digital in Eire

markiii

Established Member
Reaction score
bit of a gamble but hopefully someone can assist as I can find bugger all on google

I'm told that Ireland move to Digital Teresstrial this year, I'm also told it's up to me to resolve it for the mother in law when we visit in March.

Unfortunately I have no clue wether

the Irish use PAL?
is a UK TV compatable?
will a UK TV pick up all digital frequencies?
do ireland use teh same digital frequenct ranges as we do?
when do ireland actually switch?

any thoughts or links much appreciated.

thanks

Mark.

AFAIK there is very little digital broadcast's available here yet, maybe 1 or 2.
Yes we use PAL.
If by UKTV you mean a digital reciever that will work here , i wouldn't be too sure about that.
But yes, a UKTV will function here.

See here ,

Useful Information

Short answers ...

the Irish use PAL?
Yes , that bit doesnt change

is a UK TV compatable?
No , Ireland will use mpeg 4 , UK uses mpeg 2

No , as above

No

Aug 2009

By the time the switchover happens , small Mpeg 4 recievers will be available to enable any TV to work with the service , it is not necessary for anyone to change their TV to avail of the service.
These devices can be viewed online now , they are made by Sagem ( and possibly others ) and are available in france who also use mpeg 4 , they are typically around the 30 euro mark.

http://www.sagem.com/index.php?id=406&L=0

For the more advanced user , the Mvision combo boxes can pick up digital terrestrial and freesat ( with necessary aerial or dish ) and are capable of mpeg 2 and 4 , these can be had for around the 200 euro mark with a little shopping around.

http://www.satworld.ie/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=49

Last edited:
bit of a gamble but hopefully someone can assist as I can find bugger all on google

I'm told that Ireland move to Digital Teresstrial this year, I'm also told it's up to me to resolve it for the mother in law when we visit in March.

the Irish use PAL?
is a UK TV compatable?

thanks

Mark.

Ireland uses Pal. same as the UK. however the digital switchover has been happening for a long time and in true irish fashion, will probably take a lot longer as wll. i wouldn't bet on your MIL having a digital signal later this year. if she's outside of Dublin there is no digital ot be had, even up there it was still a trial. the economy in Ireland is gone t the dogs, i can't imagine them pushing a lot of money into it. I read somewhere that Ireland was planning on mpeg4 for the DVB-T signal, and i believe the UK uses MPEG2, so that may be an issue

mossym, (in Ireland)

I think the Irish government are probably locked in to going ahead with the digital switchover in the autumn regardless of the economic situation (although who knows what might happen in the next few months); I may be wrong in this, but I think they have to make the change to digital broadcasting at some point soon under EU regulations anyhow. As the site linked above states their service is going to be mpeg4 rather than mpeg2, so almost all current UK tellies or STBs will not work, as these will only accept mpeg2. I can remember some STBs etc in Northern Ireland were able to pick up some of the test signals on their EPGs a while back- but not actual broadcasts of course.

I think the Irish government are probably locked in to going ahead with the digital switchover in the autumn

True , the broadcasting act 2007 means that the switchover must happen before 2012 , so while there is room for some relatively short delays , that 2012 deadline must be met regardless. The previous frequencies used are to be re-allocated for other essential services.

Last edited:
i think the early trials done may have had some mpeg2 broadcasts(could be wrong there) but i know people were buying in cards from France to allow mpeg4 decoding too.

thanks Guys thats much clearer

so is it possible to buy a TV in ireland at the moment that has both analogue and MPEG4 digital tuners in it?

i.e can I just go get her to buy one now knowing it's future proofed?

Not a complete list of course , but all these have mpeg 4 tuners , keep in mind though , that a small external tuner will do the job and if she has a flatscreen already , theres no need for this expense.

Phillips 37PFL603H
Phillips 42PFL5603H
Phillips 47PFL7603H
Phillips 47PFL5603H
Panasonic TH42P281E
Panasonic TH46PZ81F
Panasonic TH50OPZ81E
Samsung LE32A676
Samsung LE40A568
Samsung LE37A568
Samsung LE46A568
Sony KDL 40W4000E
Sony KDL 46W4000E
Sony KDL 32E4000 AEP
Sony KDL 324020AEP
Toshiba 37XV515DG
LG 37LG5500

This list was sourced from here ,
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055420793

Yes, you should be able to buy a future-proofed TV now as many will have mpeg4 versions. Philips, for example, have mpeg4 equipped sets on their Irish website.

the Irish use PAL?
is a UK TV compatable?

thanks

Mark.
There have been previous threads about O'Freeview which you could probably find by searching Ireland or RTE.

thanks Chaps seems she's not a fan of Irish TV and used to receive UK broadcast from Wales, which have just been turned off

looks like sky+ is teh favorit fix at the mo which also means she can keep her current tv

I think the Irish government are probably locked in to going ahead with the digital switchover in the autumn regardless of the economic situation (although who knows what might happen in the next few months); I may be wrong in this, but I think they have to make the change to digital broadcasting at some point soon under EU regulations anyhow.
That's correct, 2012 is an EU-wide change.

I can remember some STBs etc in Northern Ireland were able to pick up some of the test signals on their EPGs a while back- but not actual broadcasts of course.
The MPEG-2 'tests' were basically normal viewing, not test signals, and could be picked up in the North OK. I watched RTE / TV3 not far from you :hiya: for 6 months on Freeview. I'll likely head down to Monaghan to get an MPEG-4 receiver when they come out of they're as cheap as said above.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom