1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Hi8 to PC via DV out/Firewire

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by gurthod, Mar 25, 2005.

1. gurthod

gurthod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I'm really struggling to get the footage from my Sony DCR-TRV145E onto my PC. Ultimately I intend to archive to DVD. I have just purchased a Firewire card which came with a Firewire cable (not an iLink cable, but I'm sure this doesn't matter), my PC is only about 6 months old and to a fairly decent spec. I'm running XP with SP2. I tried using the standard Windows Movie Maker just to kick me off, but it won't allow me to capture via the firewire card (is it worth getting the free upgrade?). I've just obtained a trial version of Pinnacle Studio v9 and keep getting error messages when I attempt to capture. I'm pretty sure I've got all I need in place, I just need a bit of guidance as I'm a bit new to all this!

Please Help :lease:

2. mike190762

mike190762

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :hiya:
    I've got the same camera and had the same problem with Pinnacle Studio v8. I was able to use Movie Maker 2, but you can't actually save to DVD.
    I've found Adobe Premiere Pro v7 the best software, but there again it is the most expensive!
    You could try Nero 6.
    Goodluck :thumbsup:
    Mike

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    Don't worry about not having an iLink cable as this is just the Sony name for firewire!
    Movie Maker 2 should be able to capture via firewire with no problems. What is/isn't happening when you try to capture? Do you get any error messages? Is the cam in VCR mode?
    Make sure you connect the cam to PC via firewire before you start the MM2 software, otherwise it is unlikely to detect the cam.
    A lot of information and help with Movie Maker 2 can be found Here

Mark.