Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Digital (DTT) signals

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by hsbcarter, Jul 30, 2002.

1. hsbcarter

hsbcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I know I am in a poor DTT signal area however I definitely can get all the BBC channels plus channel 5 and QVC etc.

I do not get ITV 1, 2 or CH 4 etc.

Now... does anyone know if and when BBC and Crown Castle get a move on that the signal "strength" (if thats the right name) will be any better?

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think ITV1, ITV2 etc are on a different multiplexer, which would explain why you are having problems receiving them despite being able to receive the others.

In the future, I guess the coverage of DTT will be the same as for analogue terrestrial - it will have to be if we are going to shut off analogue. So you would expect continued expansion of the infrastructure over the next few years - I wouldn't want to put a date on it though.

Have you tried an aerial booster? Some people say they can help.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Get a dish.:cool:

Have you experimented with changing the RF channel number you are receiving DTT through? What is your box? A different RF channel may give a stronger signal and more channels.
    Castle, BBC and Sky through DTT ramping up the signal, as Brian Wilson says God Only Knows, but she's already replied so I guess she doesn't. :)

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You might need a better aerial, your cable may be knackered!

5. redhat

redhat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds similar to a problem my brother had, though he was only receiving BBC channels.

The problem was that the ITV channels in his area were being transmitted on a frequency well outside the frequency group of his aerial. BBC channels were also outside the range of his aerial but a lot closer so he was detecting some signal.

He switched to a wide band aerial and found he could get all channels and had enough signal strengh to leave the aerial in his loft.

6. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dishes are too hard to install and get working for a novice like myself, dont you need a rader thingy to find the signal path?

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    No.

8. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Why are people talking about dishes for DTT?
    The frequencies used for DTT (Band 4 & 5 UHF) are way too low to get decent antenna gain from a dish !
    You need a good yagi antenna for the right group in your area.
    A dish , even for the higher frequency end of Band5) would be enormous before any useful gain could be had (like 3 metres or more diameter).
    I have a 2-metre dish, but it's used for 10-12 GHz.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They're not. Gringott's was talking about getting a dish for Sky and getting the FTA channels from that. ;)