1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital courses at University

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by ViciousSpunge, Aug 7, 2005.

1. ViciousSpunge

ViciousSpunge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, I am 17 and interested in doing some courses in digital photography, eventually doing an degree within the field currently I’m in school doing a level unfortunately my school doesn't offer a levels or gcses in photography so i am assuming it's going to be able to get a university interested in me

Aaron

2. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    have you tried the UCAS website? might be able to highlight a few of them.

3. ViciousSpunge

ViciousSpunge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no i haven't i don't have much idea how to look for courses yet only things i have is a few prospectus but i shall try that. but anymore adivice is appreciated

4. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  5. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    if you're the creative type you could look into doing an art foundation course - they often have a photography option (mine did) and they're a good way of sampling different disciplines. It also gives you a great opportunity to build up a portfolio of work for your entry into university - cos you will be up against people who have been doing photography for a number of years.

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    What this man said.

I did a design degree (many years ago) but the Foundation or an HNC is the only real way onto a degree course. Universities are looking for people with a rounded education rather somebody with a limited perspective.

The bigger issue, though, is employment after you've finished. It is an awfully difficult area to break into. There is good money to be made in commercial studio work - but only if you're doing it for yourself. A good friend of mine has been a well known photographer for many years with exhibitions at the Museum of Photography in Bradford as well as Galleries in London. And he still finds it tough going as an 'artistic' type photographer.

Without wishing to put you off (too much) I would seriously look at what you want to do after Uni. Photography is something you can doing as a hobby without it costing anything much in terms of time and materials.

But as for making a living out of it... I wouldn't suggest it as a career path for my kids unless they were exceptional.

7. ViciousSpunge

ViciousSpunge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you guys sorry for the late reply lost the link to the fourms came accross it by mistake i'll look into it.