1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital connecters - popularity

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bursar, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Don't panic, I'm not going to ask if I should use coax or optical!

I'm just wondering why many receivers have far more optical connectors than they do coax ones.

I was thinking about hooking up a PC to my receiver and started to look at the connections.

I have a coax cable from the DVD player into my 1803. The plan was to hook the PC up digitally as well. But I can't because I only have one coax connector on the receiver.

So I will have use that for the PC, and move the DVD player onto an optical connector. It probably won't make much difference in the real world (both lengths of cable will be fairly short), but it did start me thinking.

Why do we get one coax but several optical connectors? Most people here seem to recommend using coax, but you get the impression that the receiver manufacturers favour optical.

Would it kill them to include another coax connector in place of an optical one?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can see a number of possible reasons,

- joe on the street is probably more accustomed to optical from their walkman type things.

- more video sources may be provided with optical rather than coax

- technically, coax will be prone to talking to everything else electrical around it, so in a mess like behind a receiver, optical may be considered better

of course there are more, but i'll let someone else talk about them!

ad

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,641
    I think the back end of the toslink sockets take up less room internally. Also more budget equipment seems to be optical equipped so the leaning is toward more opticals at entry/mid level. As you go higher, more equipment is coaxial and parity is reached (normally in a bigger box note). High end ones seem to have a massive quantity of both. Please note that this is based on opinion and not any real proof!