Digital coaxial or optical cable for Squeezebox

dazzler9000

Hi,

Does anybody have any preference on which type of cable to use?. Do they sound different to each other?

I need it for a squeezebox I am close to buying. It will be connecting to my Yamaha RX-V2600 amp.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
IMHO there is no difference between the two sound wise but I prefer co-ax, simply as the cables seem to be more robust. Also, when the weather was hot, I had problems with my optical inputs on my amp. The sound was getting to the amp but nothing was coming out. I have never had any probs with co-ax and I highly recommend these:
http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_products.set/ref/4/profigold-pgd481-digital-coaxial-cable/display.html ...a barain at £9.99 but you need to spend £10 to qualify for free delivery.

dazzler9000

Thanks,

That cable looks a bargain which makes me a little sceptical.... Does anybody have any experience with this cable? How would this compare to a Mark Grant cable, think I saw that they could be had for £15 Inc delivery on this forum...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Nic Rhodes

There are pros and cons to both. I use optical cables where I have electrical noisey devices (pc and similar devices) and electrical cables elsewhere as I can make them cheaply. I also swap beween the two technologies where I need to isolate things like ground loops etc. The choice is upto you. The MG cables are top quality. Make sure either cables is well made and fit for prpose.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
The Profigold stuff is well made and great for the price. I have a MG component cable and it's excellent quality. I think you will have to order via the MG website as he seems to have gone quiet on these forums of late. Only a couple of quid in it....it's your money!