1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIgital Coax or analogue L&R

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ScottC25, Oct 25, 2005.

1. ScottC25

ScottC25
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Have just found this forum and it is immense for info if a bit full of confusing jargon at times.

Anyway, on with the question I hear some say, I have just purchased a Cambridge Audio 640c Azur cd player(version 1) and it is the 1st cd player I have owned with a digital coax output on it as well as analogue R&L. Question is which should I use and why. It will be connected to my denon AVR 1906(also new) but I gather the debate will be which does the digital to analogue conversion better

Any thoughts will be much appreciated

Scott

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Scott,
    I haven't heard either product but I would've thought it would be best to connect the CD Player to the AVR 1906 via the analogue left and right connectors. I would've thought that the DAC's in the CD Player would be better than the AV amp. I'd be very surprised if you find it to be the other way round.

3. Carl Stock

Carl Stock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi, Scott. :)

Almost all CD players made in recent years, including Cambridge Audio ones, should be connected via analogue phonos (left and right), not from the CD player’s digital output. This is because, in a less than scientific way, the CD player’s DACs (and therefore its analogue output) are really designed for music; the AV amp’s DACs are more ‘tuned’ for movies.

However, I don’t doubt that some may prefer the sound of their AV amp’s DACs instead, but I will reiterate that it is best in 99% of cases to use the CD player’s DACs. The only real exception is if one is using a CD player that could be considered to have a somewhat poor output.

I hope this helps. :)

Regards,

Carl :)

4. ScottC25

ScottC25
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated

Scott