1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Cinemas

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hazard, Mar 22, 2005.

1. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  2. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder about this....

I always thought that actual film was the best quality you could ever have. Because every frame is a photograph - an actual photo, not a digital image. So you could icrease the size to infinity and still have straight lines.
    No matter how high res the digital image is, its still made up of pixels, and if blown up big enough, they will reveal themselves.

I understand what that article says about stratching and dirt on the film, but if you go to see a film within the first couple of days of release, the film is as clean as a whistle and looks awesome.

My local cinema was actually charging more for there DLP screening of the Incredibles. Why?

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Expect lots of limited edition framed prints of your favourite film complete with actual 35mm film cells to come on the market!...PJ

4. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if all cinemas are going this way, which they probably will with the satellite downloading etc - loads cheaper for the distributers. They may as well film it digitally as well. Make 35mm redundant. It would be a shame, but I predict it for the near future.

5. dorgan

dorgan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I saw Constantine in Luxembourg last week in a THX certified cinema with digital projection (Utopolis Cinema). I nearly wet my pants when the DLP trailer came on before hand LOL. My friend was like "Oh yeah. That's the new sound format, isn't?" Needless to say, I shared my limited knowledge about it. There really is no going back to film once you've seen it. I was constantly checking the picture for any kind of flaws and dirt, but it was useless. It is absolutely pristine! Almost 3D. Check it out if you can.

As for it being installed throughout Ireland, I'll have to see it before I believe it (if the broadband rollout in the country is anything to go by. a whopping 130 odd thousand users. Whoopee!) Hazard, what part of Cork are you from? The new multiplex down the road? Blackpool Multiplex? My house is only down the road, feen. :D

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ireland remember guys.................don't go expecting anything fancy..............a few old 800x600 2 segment/2 speed DLPs I reckon, although they'll probably pop in some new Solus 60w bulbs :D

We're leading the way again..........digital projection technology in this case :clap: :thumbsup:

7. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Kramer,
    That makes it all the easier for us home cinema guys to compete. Trying to look on the bright side.

Jim.

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Compete? With the local omniplex?

They never had a chance :devil:

BTW, have PM'd you ;).

9. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I saw Constantine last week in an old cinema in Pittsburgh! Quality was terrible :( Kept missing bits of dialogue.

The "other" one... ie Mahon, which opened last week I think. OK it's not exactly down the road (I'm in Passage). Beats the pants off the next nearest cinema though, in Douglas....

10. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is not the case, film has a definite resolution limit caused by the grain size. The grain size can be reduced to get better resolution, but this results in a slower (less sensitive) film that needs more exposure.

11. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you explain this further. What is the grain size?
    I've never seen a digital camera produce better results than a normal camera - isn't this the same difference as film?

12. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not exactly a film expert, but essentialy photographic film is made from specialy treated silver halide crystals embedded in gelatin (along with many other components). The sensitivity of these crystals (or grains) depends on their size, larger grains are more sensitive so can be used in low light conditions or with very fast shutter speeds. The downside is that the grain structure can become visible, giving a grainy appearance (especialy if you enlarge the prints).

The "resolution" of the film is therefore dependant on the size of the silver halide crystals, and it's therefore posssible to have a digital imager with a higher resolution than film. As an example, an ISO100 (fine grained) 35mm film would be equivalent to roughly 11Megapixels.

[EDIT]
    The situation is confused somewhat for motion pictures on films. Due to the numerous processing and duplication stages, the quality of the film you get to see in the cinema is substantialy below that of the original masters, and by the time the film has been shown for a couple of weeks, it's quality has deteriorated still further. It is therefore argued that equivalent or better quality can be displayed by using a relatively low resolution (compared to good film) DLP projector. Of course the image shown from the DLP will always be consistent, and will not degrade with repeated showings.

13. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank-you, very interesting. Film has pixels too!

14. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As a former Cinema projectionist this technolgy does not have the same limitations as conventional 35mm film projection.
    The reasons are simple a film can be downloaded in an (encryted form) from a satalite (Boeing are the leaders in this technology at the moment).
    They are then uploaded to the onboard computer in the projector, this means no transportaion costs, no duplication costs and no degrading of the image quality over time it will look superb as good as the first time it was shown. If you are interested check out www.dlp.com you can find out more about it there. :thumbsup: