1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Cameras On Five Tonight

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Garrett, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    Quote from the forum AV Resources... 5.7.04

19:30 The Gadget Show (Entertainment)
    Entertainment show devoted to boys who love their toys. This week's show is all about the world's fastest-selling gadget: the digital camera. Suzi Perry runs a series of real life tests to see which is actually the best: digital or film. And Tom Dunmore, Editor of 'Stuff' magazine, will tell us which he thinks are the best digital cameras out there.
    (Subtitles, Stereo)

2. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Thanks for the heads up mate ;)

I watched the programme, but thought it a little "lame" to say the least! I mean, saying that film beats digital because you can capture "action" with a film camera, whilst a digital camera has too much shutter lag is just plain annoying! And the end "comparison" between two huge printed posters - digital wins, despite suffering pixelation, because "the film shot has a magenta tinge"!? In the "real world" I know which phenomenon I'd rather my images suffered!

I was almost persuaded to enter the competion, though... that Nikon D70 does look rather nice :cool:

Ah, well... I guess I'll just have to make do with my HP Photosmart 945 and Olympus C-4000 digicams... at least until some long lost relative pegs it, leaving us hundreds and thousands :)

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I didn't see the program but are you serious? Can't see many sports journos using film these days! Also on a side note, Stuff magazine has really gone downhill in the last few years, i find T3 to be much better.

But Suzi Perry is always a bonus in my books :D

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    That was very un-clear I got it in my head before last nights program that digital cameras took time to warm up, and took time between shots as the picture was loaded into memory.
    But last nights program it seem as though if I want to take a sports shot even if the camera is all ready it will not take the picture at the point you click the button but a bit later.

Is this true?

5. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Truth... if only it were that easy!! As is usually the case, yes - it is true... sometimes, ie. with some digicams - usually at the cheaper end of the market. Some digicams have a burst mode so you can take a number of shots in quick succession, whilst the more expensive digicams are usually much quicker with less shutter lag.

"Can't see many sports journos using film these days!" - Exactamundo!! Or for that matter, the paparazzi!

It just really got me, this blowing the image up to huge proportions... what for? Surely most people will have access to a printer - why not make the comparison at say A4 size? Probably because there would be little in it?! But if you're gonna blow it up to the size of a building at least be honest and say the film shot is the clear winner, rather than suck up to the programme's "digital has usurped film" stance :devil: :lesson: :D

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    Sigismund can you clarify?

I’m not bothered about taking pictures in quick succession but there would be times I want to take a critical certain moment which the camera was ready, e.g. like the finishing line. Would a digital camera warmed up ready for the shot take it at the right time or like last night just miss it.
    What do you mean the cheaper end of the market?

7. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    what you've got to remember is that when you press the shutter button you are first setting up the focus, only when the camera is properly focused will it take the shot. The easiest way to overcome this delay is to pre-focus (usually on something the same distance from the lens as the final subject) by pressing the shutter button down half way then, with the button still half pressed, waiting til the subject is in frame.

8. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Alternatively you can use "Manual Focus" (if your camera has this feature - cheaper digicams tend not to) or set focus to infinity. Again, some digicams, especially ones of a couple of years ago, may still suffer a certain lag - I think it was a Kodak DX4900 I had that seemed to take forever to take the shot after I felt like I'd taken the shot... modern digicams are much better and the more expensive the camera, usually, the better or shoeter this delay. The point of the burst mode is to take say six shots in two seconds, or whatever, so capturing that elusive moment. Again, more recently released digicams have settings like "Action" that address these particular issues and put the camera into "fast action" mode.

For me this is part of the attraction of digital cameras, and photography in general - learning how to use your particular camera... indeed, knowing what you're going to be using the camera for is paramount - if you like landscape photography you'll probably want a camera with a wide angle lens, if sports photography is your thing, ending up with a camera that you can't focus to infinity or use a burst mode, or one that has too much shutter lag would probably leave you feeling, "what is all this digital photography fuss all about?" If you like taking night shots a Casio QV-R40, with its two second maximum exposure time just isn't enough to capture the shots you'll no doubt want. Get the "right" camera for your use and you'll probably extol the virtues of digital photography to all and sundry ;)

"What do you mean the cheaper end of the market?" - Cameras like the QV-R 51 or many of the cheaper Kodaks/Fujis/Panasonics. They can take excellent photos, but generally they aren't up to "being manipulated" to your wants/needs. At the end of the day, though, what I like about a camera - or the photos it provides - may be at odds to somebody elses preferences and the only way to decide is to use as many as possible... I've lost count how many I've bought over the web, and then returned for an exchange, but that's all part of the fun for me ;)

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    Thanks for the info.
    As I’m use to a 50mm SLR with a 70-210 zoom lens I think one that covers 35MM to 210 will suit my needs. The latest ones I’m looking at are Olympus 765 and Pentax 555. But I’ve seen very good reviews of the Canon Powershot G5 but the zoom is only up to 140.

I will have to ask about the lag when I get round to going in the shops.

10. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    if you are wanting to capture fast moving action such as a finish to a race etc race cars/planes in flight
    an SLR is by far the best option