Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by danunited, Sep 4, 2007.

1. danunited

danunited
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I hoping that someone is able to give me some basic advice. Firstly I would like to explain that I have no knowledge at all about digital cameras or do I know exactly what I am looking for(don't think that there is any point in pretending to have knowledge). I went into Jessops Photo Shop at the weekend and was give some information but before buying a camera I need to get some more help.

Basically we are going to South Africa on Safari next month and we also plan to visit the beautiful sights around Cape Town. We are looking for a easy to use digital camera that will take good shots of the wildlife etc and also good pictures of landscapes / mountains etc. This is a once in a lifetime holiday and it is important that we get some great pictures.

We have been told that we should look for a camera with a optical zoom + x6 and with Megapixels of about 7. Are there any other features and guidelines I need to look for? Is anyone able to give more advice?

Our budget was approximately £200 but we are a little flexible with this. Can we get a good camera for this kind of money? We have been recommended the following cameras:-

Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ3
    Canon Powershot A71015

Are these good cameras for the kind of photos we are looking to take? Are these cameras value for money?

Please can anyone recommend some other cameras in our price budget that is a good camera and is good value for money?

I hope someone can help. Sorry I don't have too much knowledge of cameras.

Many thanks in advance.

Dan

2. spaceman763

spaceman763

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
  3. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    For wildlife, you really want the biggest zoom you can afford. You should also get image stabilisation, as camera shake becomes a HUGE problem at high zoom.

Rather than the 'compact' models, I'd suggest you look at the so-called 'prosumer' or 'bridge' cameras

Take a look at these:

Canon Powershot S5 IS
    Panasonic FZ8 or FZ50
    Sony Cyber-shot H7 or H9

My favourite from what I've read would be the Panasonic FZ50, which at £289 blows your budget somewhat, but then you do get an image stabilised x12 zoom, and a decent viewfinder (in brilliant sunshine you'll be cursing one of those LCD screens).

4. 1LeeDenton

1LeeDenton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    No new suggestions, but if I was looking for a good digital camera (that wasn't a dLSR), I would buy either a Panasonic FZ8 ('bridge' camera) or a Panasonic TZ3 (more of a Point & Shoot 'compact' style).

Both come with Panasonic's 'Mega Optical Image Stabilisation' (IIRC) and both can be had below your £200 budget......

For a special, once-in-a-lifetime trip, I personally would want something with a little more creative freedom than the P&S offerings, therefore would probably go for the FZ8....

My 2p worth anyway :thumbsup: