Digital camera with very good zoom eg 4x??

slewis1972

Standard Member
Reaction score
My Mum wants a digital camera, with the best zoom she can get. Basically - she has seen some that have 4 x zoom, and 2 x digital zoom. Anyway - any suggestions what the best in terms price digital camera there is at the moment that can do this or better. I think the one she saw was like £250.

Scott

I've just done a quick search on www.pricerunner.com and from 'digital cameras' 'price £150 - £450' and then selected 'optical zoom at least 4x' and got back a list of 94 cameras. The cheapest option was a Kodak DX6340 for £153.

Mark.

The Pentax 555 has a 5x zoom.

To be honest - dont know. She was looking at one for £250 in some catalogue - so I suppose around that mark. She likes her pictures, fed up with taking them on 35mm, and only wanting half of them. She plans on taking the smart media card etc into somewhere like Jessops - so they only print waht she wants.
She though wants a 4x zoom, with minimum 2 x zoom.

So - really - seeking advice on what the best model is fo her.

Scott

The best advice really is to do some searching on the likes of pricerunner. find the cameras that look to do what is required and then go down to a local Jessops and actually hold the camera. Often you can dismiss a few because they don't feel right in your (or your mums) hand.
Once you have the one that feels the best and have found it to do all that is required say to the salesman that you want it. As he rubs his hands in glee thinking of all that loveley commission he will make show him the details you got off the internet and he will pricematch it for you. Don't forget to get good internet prices for all the accessories as well!

Mark.

If you want more zoom your going to need a bigger camera. 3/4 is not much of a diff to be honest.

Spoke with my Mum last night - and she wants a small camera, that can say fit in a pocket. explained - long zoom, bigger camera.
Looks like the canon ixus400 could be a winner.

Those who have one - whats the size of it like - can U fit it into your pocket?

Also - is this ixus 400 the same as the Canon Poweshot S400 - as they look the same?

Scott

Yes it is the same camera, they call it the S400 in the states. It can fit in your pocket no danger. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s400.html have a look at it there, put next to a cd.

It's the perfect size. You'll be well pleased with it

Have you ever seen the Jay z video with him from the neptunes. He's using one all through the video

Get a price match from jessops or just buy it on line.

Me.

Was £448 in jessops, i got it for £332, take the printed page and the phone number of the add.

Will be cheaper now in jessops, but still about 350 i bet

I have one of these and have been very impressed with it thus far.
CAMERA

CAMERA#

I only paid £150 but then again i have my inside contacts;)

From Amazon

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The ISO is only up to 320 the movie mode 16 sec max at best setting. Its 3 mb

The ixus is still your best bet

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom