1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

digital camera - which to buy?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Fusspot, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Fusspot

Fusspot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wanting to update my camera. After reading many reviews I've narrowed it down to three (I think!) that would possibly suit me. They are the Sony Cybershot DSCH1, the Canon Powershot S2IS and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5. They all have similar specs. I'm somewhat of a novice and I've read so many reviews that my head is spinning - case of too much information can be a dangerous thing! Any thoughts/advice on any of these cameras (or any other suggestions for that matter) would be much appreciated.
    Thankyou
    Fusspot

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,124
    Hi Fusspot I am in the same boat as you,looking to buy and faced with a pleothora of choices.I posted just a few down from you for opinions on the Z5 but am still awaiting any answers.

Like you I have scoured the reviews for various cameras(fuji 5500,Minolta Z5 to name but 2) then my attention was drawn to the panasonic which seems to get rave reviews and does pretty much what I am looking for.

I have now read two advance reviews on the Fuji 5600 and Olmpus SP500 which should be out late this month/early Oct and these two look pretty good to.

And to throw into the pot you have mentioned the Sony and Canon which I am going to be checking out the reviews on today.What we really need though is reviews from consumers who use these cameras everyday to help us make our minds up.

3. alastair

alastair
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the FZ5, FZ20 and H1. Ended up going for the FZ5 in the end. Loved the look of the H1 but no-one had it and didnt particularly want to move from SD to MS. Couldnt see the extra money for the manual focus, size and F stop was worth it. Really like the FZ5, it is a perfect size, great zoom and good features. Multi delete is an excellent idea which everyone should be on everything. Overall very impressed and got it for £260.

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,124
    Alastair,thanks for the info,just one thing you say the camera is a perfect size,I am worried it may be too small as I have fairly large hands how do you find it?

Having looked at reviews for the S21S and DSCH1 whilst reviews are impressive they do not appear to be any better than the FZ5 but are around £30-50 more expensive(without allowing for the memory cards and I already have a spare 512mb sd card waiting)so it looks like the FZ5 might be winging its way to me soon.

Having said that the Olympus SP500 & Fuji 5600 should also be around the same street price of the FZ5 and initial specs look pretty good too,decisions,decisions!!!!

5. alastair

alastair
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am 6'2" so have pretty big hands and had exactly the same worry as you which is why i was looking at the FZ20 but the FZ5 isnt too small, its big enough to be comfey yet its not too heavy or too big.

6. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had the FZ5 for about 4 months now and it takes great pictures, not too small in my very large hands. After owning 2 other digicams I went for this due to it's high speed focus options and the great zoom. In decent light the focus is almost instantaneous meaning you don't miss those shots of the kids.

7. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fz5 is the best of those imho.
    All the fz range arent brilliant at night shots and a tad noisey at iso400 (not horrible) but post processing noise removal techniques can eradicate this.
    Use Mode1 on OIS, essential.
    Turn off OIS on night shots and use a tripod.