1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Camera wanted

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dUnKle, May 3, 2005.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Want to get my first digital camera but need some advice - I have used a few camera over last year and I have had niggles with each one - they may all seem petty - but its just a few things that I never got on with

(1) Firstly I want one with a docking station which will charge the battery whilst the camera is sat in it (and I guess connect to PC at same time)

(2) Secondly I want a camera with which you do not need to wait an age to take fisrt photo once switching it on - some I have used take 5 to 10 seconds and by which time the moment has past. Also related to speed I could do with a camera which allows you to take multiple photos, in quick succesion, by just holding finger down on the take photo button.

(3) Im not sure how many mega pixels I need - but I have a Cannon Ip4000 printer and have not been that impressed with the results on A4 from 3MP cameras - so I guess want at least 4MP

(4) Not after a huge camera but not worried if its not pocket sized etc - would ideally like some form of zoom (at least x 3 optical)

(5) Finnally the budget - ideally no more than £200

I know I may be asking a lot - but any suggestions

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    £200 and a compact makes me think of the ixus range, the pentax range and sony's W and P ranges

canon http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/ (look at the ixus 500)

pentax http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/ (S5I)

Not checked the prices of compacts for ages but i think they're round your price mark, and very good to

sony http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/ (look at the w1)

Edit:

Just spotted the docking station part. Any reason why that's so important? that's limiting your choices there

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    The docking station is more for convienance than anything

Like with pocket PC its so easy just to sit it in its cradle and let it charge and sync with PC

I dont have the best memory and its annoying when the battery runs out in cameras I have used - at the very least I want a camera which can have its battery charged without actually having to take it out and place in charger

but cradle would just be easier for me

also size is the least importnat thing for me - rather have a bigger camera with more functions than a tiny one

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Off the top of my head its the http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kodak/ kodaks that have docking stations

I think though it's better to have two batteries so your camera is not anchored while its charching, you could be out there taking photos with your other battery while the other charges, nothing worse then a flat battery when you're out and about..

5. rphul

rphul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the casio exilm range, fast start up times, big lcd, small size and a docking station. i have just bought a Z55 which has just been discontinued for just over £200, you should be able to find the Z50 for under £200 on line.

The camera also has 3* optical zoom, 5MP and 15fps video. So far i am impressed with the ease of use and navigation.

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    thanks

will look at casio

7. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    A plus with some Kodaks (maybe all - I'm not sure) is that they will take AA batteries, so if you go flat whilst out and about, you can pick some up from Woolies (or anywhere that sells batteries in fact!)

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That is plus mate, my s1 took AA's