Digital camera still photos

E

ebbone

hi

I'm looking to buy a hard disk recorder which will allow me to transfer photos from a digital camera.

Some of the Panasonics have pc card and/or SD card slots but I'm not sure how I'd transfer directly from a digital camera using a cable?

Does anyone have an ideas?

Thanks.

The HS2 does it perfectly for us!

Download the photos directly into the unit via the card slot; it then placess the photos into nice little albums on the HDD (or dvd-r / RAM if you prefer), which are kept seperate from the normal video recordings.

Thanks for the reply. More questions.......

Is the hard drive big enough?
How many photos have you got on it?
And is there still enough space for recording from the TV?

I'm looking to buy a hard disk recorder which will allow me to transfer photos from a digital camera
Your options are the Panasonic HS2 or Panasonic E100 which, as Wellsi states, can be used for transferring your pictures to either HDD or DVD-RAM (you can't send them to DVD-R - out of all the DVD formats only DVD-RAM can mix pictures and video recordings).

Is the hard drive big enough?
The HDD on the HS2 is 40GB, on the E100 it is 80GB. The smaller size HDD offers around 9hrs capacity on XP mode or 18hrs on SP mode (standard mode). Obviously how many photos you add is going to alter that but unless you've got thousands you won't notice the lost space. Besides photos can be copied from HDD to DVD-RAM and back again as well as being copied back to a SD Card/Compact Flash (etc) in the Card Slots.

Agree; it's simple maths.
Your 128 MB photo card will store some 200 - 300 photos depending on resolution.
8 lots of 128 Mb will be around 1 GB; that's just 3% of the HS2's HDD capacity filled by some 2000 photos.
And you can offload it onto RAM in any case.

Remember video is the chunkiest file size; stills take up hardly any room at all! (And the DV input is great for moving piccies too).

Do it!

Very simple maths! lol

Thanks for all the info.

Any other makes with HDD I should be considering?

And how would I transfer the photos if they don't have card slots?

And how would I transfer the photos if they don't have card slots?
You can't. Only the Panasonic models quoted (and the non-HDD Panasonic E60 and it's upcoming replacement the E65) have this feature.

Thanks - Panasonic it is then!

What PC Card adapter would I need to transfer from a Memory Stick?

Thanks.

It's a standard PCMCIA (laptop) type card slot; you can pick them up anywhere for around £8 - £12.

Besides photos can be copied from HDD to DVD-RAM and back again as well as being copied back to a SD Card/Compact Flash (etc) in the Card Slots

I have a HS2. I am looking at card adapters. Do all adapters allow copying from HDD to adapter? I have seen some (Ebay) that are described as readers.

ebbone,

A single adapter is around £5 and a multi reader (SD,SC,MMC and Memory Stick) is around £15 (excludes compact Flash due to bigger size).

It looks like I need a multi reader (for SD and Smartcard) and a Compact Flash reader.

I have a HS2. I am looking at card adapters. Do all adapters allow copying from HDD to adapter? I have seen some (Ebay) that are described as readers.
Can't really answer that one I'm afraid. I actually won the card adaptor I use with my Canon Powershot Digital camera and the HS2 so didn't need to 'research' which adaptor to buy. The adaptor I have is just labelled "PCMCIA Adaptor" with another label on the back: "PCMCIA PC Card ATA".

The one I have is called a PCMCIA 4 in 1 Adaptor. It accepts all card types except Compact Flash.

If you're going for the Panny E60 it has a PCMCIA slot and a SD card slot. So if you're camera uses SD cards you don't even need to bother with an adaptor.

I have a Panasonic E60 and a PCMCIA multi adaptor that I recently got from 7Day shop and you can copy from the E60 to your camera memory card. I hope this is of some interest

Mike

Based on all that's been said, I think I'll be going for a multi-adaptor for the flexibility.

Is it possible to put jpegs on a RAM from a PC and play them on the HS2?

I have a LG4040 and managed to do video from the PC to a E50 ok.

You can produce a video cd with Nero using jpegs and play on the panasonic. But no album facility that I can see. DVD's a bit large for still photo's I think

Hi Mikatt

Whilst I'm okay using the HS2, my sister is trying to play still photos on her TV and only has a DVD player and a PC with a CD-writer;
Does Nero allow you to compile still photos onto a playable VCD?

Ta for that...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom