1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital camera shops in New York

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Mallus, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Mallus

Mallus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been eyeing up digital cameras for a few months now and it seems I have the perfect opportunity to get one cheaply as I have a friend currently visiting New York. I was thinking of the Minolta G500, anyone had experience with this camera? Looks pretty good based on specs and reviews!

Secondly, does anyone know of any decent camera stores in New York that are relatively cheap? B&H seems to be the only camera store I can find!

What exactly will I need to be able to use the camera in this country? I am guessing just some sort of power converter to allow it to recharge? Any idea how much one of these will cost? Will the warranty be useable in this country? Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time

2. captain chunk

captain chunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think Sony cams have universal recharger's so all you will have to do is change the plug on the transformer, but camera shops will be able to confirm this look for cameras where the plug isn't directly moulded onto the transformer body as UK spec transformer can be expensive if purchased separately or just look for a camera that uses AA's and buy some recharge ables when you get back to the UK

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    B&H is a fantastic store to visit, like Willy Wonkas Chocolate Factory with it's peculiar overhead monorail distribution system.
    However, it isn't always particularly cheap, if you have a friend willing to haggle in any of the Times Square electronics shops, you should beat their price easily, have extras thrown in etc.
    Whether it's worth it when tax and stuff is added, especially with hassle of having it fixed if you have an in-warranty problem. Regardless of guarantee most dealers won't want to know, so you will probably have to deal directly with Minolta UK who also might not be too interested.
    Some chargers are universal 110 / 240v, no idea if G500 has this . :cool: