• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

digital camera help needed?

techdude

Standard Member
i am going to buy a new digital camera as the one i use on my phone is crap and i want to take better pictures when i go abroad.what features are best to have?what are good camera makes?what card does the camera normally save to so i can print them off?

FallOutBoy

Prominent Member
i am going to buy a new digital camera as the one i use on my phone is crap and i want to take better pictures when i go abroad.what features are best to have?what are good camera makes?what card does the camera normally save to so i can print them off?

Most digital cameras these days use SD cards (and higher capacity SDHC cards etc). They can be bought very cheap now, a fast 16GB is around £20-25 or so, depending on brand, and will hold plenty of photos (and some HD video).

The best compact cameras available at the moment are probably the Canon Powershot SX230 HS (around £200) which has a 14x zoom lens and offers great photo quality, particularly in low light (for a compact camera).

The Sony HX9V is more expensive and also very good quality, although personally I'd choose the Canon myself.

The Canon S95 and Olympus XZ-1 are in a different league, image quality-wise, offering better quality all round, but lacking the large zooms of the Sony and Canon's mentioned above. They have the typical 4-5x optical zoom as opposed to 14-16X in the Canon and Sony respectively.

If quality is more important, go for the Canon S95 (or new S100) or Olympus XZ-1 (both more expensive but worth it IMO) but if you want a longer zoom lens (but still very good picture quality) then you can't go wrong with the Canon SX230 HS :thumbsup:

Here's a link to a group test of compact zoom cameras that might help - Check out the comparisons of photos shot in daytime and night to see the quality difference between the different compacts. The Canon wins every time I believe, closely followed by the Sony:

'Compact Travel Zoom' Camera Group Test (Q3 2011) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

'Compact Travel Zoom' Camera Group Test (Q3 2011) Review: 14. Real-world comparison (low light): Digital Photography Review

susancts

Standard Member
Most of the digital cameras these days are compatible with SD, SDHC and SDXC cards.

You have not mentioned whether you are looking for a Point & Shoot camera or a DSLR. If you prefer a compact camera, go for the latest Canon S100 or almost a year old Canon G12. Most of the specifications of these cameras are similar. Canon G12 has more physical controls and comes with an articulating screen.

If you are looking forward to having a DSLR, you can check out cheaper Nikon D5100 or Canon 600D. Both these cameras come with articulating screen.

FallOutBoy

Prominent Member
thankyou both for great answers.i am looking for a point and shoot camera.what is a dslr and is it better?

A DSLR is a much larger camera, which uses different lenses instead of just one built-in lens. The image quality is much higher and you get depth of field that you don't usually get from most compact cameras, but it depends what you want to achieve.

I have a D3100 which is Nikon's entry level DSLR, which cost £399 and includes an 18-55mm lens, which is kind of similar to a 4x zoom lens on a compact camera. If you want to achieve the best photo quality and have shallow depth of field (blurred background behind sharp foreground subject) then go for a DSLR, but it's not going to be the most compact solution, and will probably annoy you while on holiday, as you'd probably prefer something you can keep in your pocket?

gangzoom

Distinguished Member
DSLR stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex camera. These are essentially the old fashioned SLR but with a digital sensor rather than film. Image quality from these cameras are in a completely different league compared even the best "point and shots" especially in low light situations, they have a optical view finder, and interchangeable lens letting you use things like wide angle lens, prime lens etc.

Despite the camera body been quite cheap these days additional lens are still very expensive (I spent £500 on my Canon DSLR 2 years ago, but have since spent £1K on additional lenses). DSLR give you a much better chance of capturing the "perfect" picture, however as with all things unless you know how to exploit all the extra features a point and shot will probably produce the same pictures (I've stopped asking relatives to take pictures with my DSLR because the pictures usually look out of focus or poorly framed).

Personally I only use my DSLR (and all the extra lens) out when I know I'm going some where special. I use my wife's point and shoot, and iPhone for the majority of my photo taking :)

susancts

Standard Member
thankyou both for great answers.i am looking for a point and shoot camera.what is a dslr and is it better?

DSLR is better than a point & shoot camera. DSLR cameras comes with larger sensors and are capable of taking fabulous photographs and P&S camera is no match in this department. There are plenty of physical controls on a DSLR and ergonomically better. Good range of lenses enables you to take pictures in variety of environments which could be next to impossible with a P&S. But DSLRs are bulky and you would only bother to carry it around if you are really fond of photography. Moreover lenses are expensive indeed. But if you can invest in lenses it is worth it. It is good to have a wide angle lens and a zoom lens apart from the basic 18-55 mm kit lens that is shipped with the camera body.

gangzoom

Distinguished Member
DSLR cameras are defiantly better than point and shoots, but you don't need one to take good photos. Heres a few photos I've taken with the camera on my iPhone...

20110423honeymoon1206.jpg

20110423honeymoon1211.jpg

..and some amazing photos other have taken with a iPhone!!

3140068572_886d2ecf28.jpg

3295191352_c0da577f74_m.jpg

3157809130_1ff33571a2_m.jpg

So you most defiantly don't need a SLR to take good photos, but sometimes its about been at the right place at the right time...these photos below are obviously taken with a DSLR and but how the photographer spotted the opportunity, framed the shot is simply amazing :eek:
volcanoUPI_800x531.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom