1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital camera buying advice around £240

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by kbfern, Aug 24, 2005.

1. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,122
    Hi

I was thinking of buying a new digital SLR type of camera such as a minolta Z5 can anyone give advise on this or alternative cameras in this price range £200/£250.I would consider a second hand unit that was no more than a year old,

I am looking for a camera capable of taking good macro shots(flowers & insects) but also want a decent zoom for distance shots (cars & aircraft).

With the digital slr type of camera, is what you see in the viewfinder what the lens is seeing as in a traditional slr.Or is it just like the image you see on cheaper compact cameras where you can't see what your going to get in frame till you take the picture.

Some sort of anti shake feature as in the minolta would be preferable.

I take it that true DSLR cameras would be out of this price range,but are there any expected to be released anytime soon at a price of £300 or less.

A lot of questions,but I have looked at a few websites and the range of cameras is mindblowing and need advice from folks who use these cameras.

2. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The panasonic FZ20 is probably still the best all rounder prosumer camera. You won't get one new for your price range but I reckon you'd get a good 6mnth old example for that price.

A cheaper alternatively is the superb Olympus 770 (£179 at Amazon)- only downside is it has no image stabilisation which unless you have rock steady hands can be a nuisance at full zoom.

3. MattB1

MattB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep - a DSLR would be out of your price range.

Take a look at the Olympus 770uz - 10X zoom, 4mp, very good macro, full maual control if required. It doesn't have image stabalisation though.
    I have the C765 and it's an excellent camera. The 770 is identical optically but just has a couple of extra features.

It was recently on Amazon for £179 but it's now gone up to £230.

Reviews here :

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c770uz.html

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/c765uz_770uz-review/

I've looked a few times at changing my camera but haven't seen a newer model compact come out yet that has convinced me to do so.

Matt.

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,122
    Thanks mjw & matt will take a look at the reviews of panasonic & Olympus.Anybody got a Minolta Z3 or Z5 to let me know if these are any good?

5. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,406
    take a look at the Fujitsu S5500, I'm enjoying getting to grips with mine at the moment...

6. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Fuji S5500 for a mate and got a craking deal from www.ukdigitalcamera.com - After trawling the net this camera is out of stock in most places but this site has quite a few in stock and sent it out by special delivery FOC - Also check out their bundle deals which includes an extra memory card, bag and rechargeable batteries.