Digital cam response time compared to SLR

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by firsttee, Mar 16, 2006.

1. firsttee

firsttee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I am looking into getting a new toy. the main problem I had with the older digital cam I had was that between the time I fired the camera to the actual second it took the frame, the scene has already changed. it could be my son smiling for the first time on one side of the scale to a whale jumping out of the water on the other- I missed them both!!!
    Looking at top range digital cameras now days I see that they all have a response time of 0.1 sec. My question is - how does it compare to digital SLRs? is that good enough to avoid missing those special seconds again??

Thanks

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    I have an old difital camera, a fuji 6900 and it replced my old SLR, a Canon EOS 1000FN.
    The fuji was a load of rubbish compared, slow response etc. I now have a 350D and it is fantastic, no lag problems, up to 14 shots at 3 per second, you won't miss anyting with this camera, it even starts up in 0.2 sec.
    There are quite a few people buying digital SLR's and this is considered one of the best for the money, about £500 with a 18-55 lens (28-80 equivalent)

3. speedymct

speedymct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It depends on what's acceptable in terms of lag. If you're shooting sports, or moving objects, then the quicker the better. My mate's got the Nikon & it's amazingly quick.

I'd recommending going into jessops & trying a few out. You may be surprised at the response times now compared to your old camera, considering the leaps & bounds in hardware/software over the last few years.

I have a Canon G3 (2003) for work, & it works fine as i'm taking static objects, but I took it to Brands Hatch for the World Superbikes last year & it was quite frustratingly slow at focusing.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    the actual release of compact cameras is good these days. But they are let down by the time it takes to focus and meter.
    When i first tried the 350d in jessops i was instantly surprised by the speed of focus. Having since bought one, i'm constantly impressed by its general speed- you are never waiting for it.

5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    The Fuji 6900 was notorious for its very poor shutterlag: great for still shots but anything in motion.....:nono: (Its Now resident at an Estate Agents ;) )
    The Fuji 602Z which replaced it had almost non-existent lag in comparison.
    Canons high end nonDSLR, Canon Powershot Pro one has an 8 megapixel ccd ( not the 8.1 cmos of the 350D) .
    It has much more noticable shutter lag than the 350D. Shame as it has a fantastic USM L lens with 28-200mm range
    Seems shutter lag is a probem which is getting much better and newer P&S or non DSLR Digicams have less of it.

In contrast, All the DSLRs' seem to have more than acceptable or even only barely perceptible lag ( they still have to focus and expose properly).

Having the shutter button depressed halfway Focus / exposure lock :( for exposure +/- focus) and using the "AI servo AF" focus or "AI Focus AF" mode as opposed to one shotAF is one way of capturing children: They can be notoroiusly difficult to catch at those special moments and will often test your patience and ingenuity :rolleyes:
    Burst mode also helps as you can choose the winning shot afterwards