1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

digital cables??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ash007, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are digital cables all the same, or do you get what u pay for?

Was going to get a 5metre long digital coax cable for £40 (Ixos if i remember), then i saw a 5metre long toslink cable for £20 (no brand).

Is it worth paying more for the Ixos, or will their likely be no difference in quality?

Is their any difference between coax and optical, over a 5metre run?

Ash

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Digital cable need to be 75 ohm for most AV duties (non balanced ones). This cable can be very cheap. You just need well screened 75 ohm coax like RG 59 or RG 6. The problem comes with plugs and soldering. I know of no 75 ohm RCA plugs that you can solder. Canare does a good crip 75 Ohm ish RCA plug but few use it. Certainly not on made up cables I know.

Some manufacturerfs don't even use 75 ohm cable.:( This is just wrong. No names Kimber and Van Den Hul.

The BNC connection can be a 75 Ohm variant and is cheap and an excellent high quality connector though only the best people use this.

Therefore in summary I hear no difference between cheap and expensive 75 ohm cables with 75 Ohm BNCs.

I do hear differences when 75 ohm cable is connected with the usual RCA plugs (WBT / Profile etc).

I do hear difference when non 75 ohm cable is connected with the usual RCA plugs (WBT / Profile etc) or BNCs.

Digital / Video cable (basically the same) are NOT expensive and are easy to get (Keene / Lectropacks etc)

Keep all cables as short as possible. I prefer 0.5m.

The difference between optical and coax is down to how they are implemented (engineering).

Questions to as is the IXOS 75 Ohm (much actually is with IXOS).
    :)

Is the competition 75 Ohm?

Will your plugs minimise the degredations on the digital cable.

For the record I recon IXOS does a very good job when they solder the leads up correctly (don't ask!). But this doesn't mean it can't be done as well cheaper in the firms I have mentioned.