Digital Cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ptgrav, Sep 7, 2004.

1. ptgrav

ptgrav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,
    reasonably new to these forums but others now me of other forums.

I have a couple of queries I hope other people can help me with. I have just upgraded my home cinema system to a Denon set up. The cables/interconnects I am using are just the standard cheapos and I was looking into upgrading to something reasonably better. I am a analogue electronics design engineer by trade (switch mode power supplies) so I understand how certain cables can deliver a analogue signal in a modified state, therefore the better the cable less modification from the original signal source and therefore a truer listening experiance.

But there are two areas of equipment cabling that I don't understand how the quality of the cable above a moderately good standard can have any effect.

1/ Digital coax cable. If I am right in assuming the signal is pure digital how can the cable effect the resultant sound. If it is a digital signal and from a decent source it would have to be an extremely lousy cable to effect the signal that the decoder is recieving.

2/ Input mains cables. The mains into your house is appaling and any amount of van den hul mainsstream (£399) isn't going to make the slightest difference to the mains that ends up at the front end of the HiFi equipment let alone effecting the sound quality coming out.

Can anyone guide me where I am going wrong on this or do you agree?

Pete

2. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pete, and welcome,

Just a side note to say you may geta better response posting here.

maybe a mod can move it for you.

Regards

3. ptgrav

ptgrav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Taz,
    as it was only a general topic rather than looking for specific help wasn't sure where to post it and thought here was safest. If a Mod thinks it ought to be in the other section please move it.

Pete

4. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pete, General chat is not safe at all!

I have to get my parents consent to come in here and i'm 33! :laugh:

Although im 34 Thursday! *cough*

:D

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,154
    Moved from General Chat

[Move by Garrett]

6. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in no way an expert on this but:
    1. Digital Signals still contain a quantity of information and it's possible for some of the information to be lost. A well made digital lead is the most important thing, but the quality of insulation to avoid interferance and the quality of cable to avoid loss of information. The big argument tends to be the big extra price tag for the small differences.

2. As far as I understand the mains can cause interferance anyway but is limited with the use of leads which help stop the interferance, but also the quality of the ring mains that the items are on.
    So the ideal is to have a seperate ring mains with a mains conditioner and a high quality mains lead. But any of these things can have an effect. However I won't comment on how much difference it actually makes! Most people will tell you that you only need them if you notice a problem!

7. ptgrav

ptgrav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds reasonable on both counts.

Oh and happy birthday Taz.

Pete