1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Cable

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by JackOTrades, Aug 22, 2005.

1. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy a cable to connect my HTPC (Geforce 6600GT) to my Projector (Panasonic PT-AE700).

Perhaps some of you have this same combination so I was wondering what cable brands/shops you recommend.

I am thinking of a DVI to HDMI connection, for best results. Does any of you know if this cable is directional or any DVI to HDMI will do?

I would appreciate any tips on where to get the best value cable for this. I will need a long run of cable (minimum 8m).

Thanks a lot for any help.
    Jack

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DVI<->HDMI cables are bi-directional, there is no 'send' and 'receive' end to worry about.

As for 'best value', value is in the eye, or wallet ;), of the beholder .. I get mine from Joe at The Media Factory. Once you get above 7.5m then cable quality becomes important, some people report good results with 10m ones from Lindy, my experience wasn't great and the extra money spent on a cable from Joe was well worthwhile .. I do use one of their 7.5m cables with no problems.

3. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks KRaGorn I will have a look at their prices. 7.5m will probably do it, i will measure the length I need again just to be on the safe side. If 7.5m is the cut off point, I rather be inside that length if I can help it.

Jack

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's not a hard cut-off point, just that Lindy's product range have 2, 3, 5, 7.5 and 10m lengths and if you can get away with 7.5m you'll be able to use their product rather than a more expensive one needed for reliable use at longer lengths.

5. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure, I understand. What I meant was that if it is in that bullpark that the length starts being an issue i will try to keep it around that or shorter if possible. I measured the room today and I can get away with 7m so perhaps the 7.5m cable is the right choice. 5m is definitely too short...

Thanks for your help!
    Jack

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    For some reason DVI->DVI cables seem much cheaper than HDMI->HDMI even when you add in the cost of a DVI->HDMI converter

7. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I bought a smaller (3ft) cable from this guy and he may do the length you need. I'm not big on expensive cables and so thought I'd try a cheaper one to see if it all worked okay. It does and I'm not convinced a more expensive cable would be better.

8. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

Any of you know the differences between the pin configurations of the various DVI connectors? Some cables have 3 rows of ten pins, other have 3 rows of six with a space in between. I read that one supports analog and digital signals, the second one only digital. To connect the Nvidia 6600GT (DVI) to Panny AE700 (HDMI) do I need a specific configuration or will any of them work?

Thanks a lot!
    Jack

9. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    There is a descriptive diagram explaining the difference at the bottom of the page I linked to before....a DVI to HDMI will most likely be DVI-D single link to HDMI