1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Cable Question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Howard0000, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have bought a small phono splitter cable for the Coax Digital out on my DVD player, so it can go to the amp in the same room, and the surround sound system downstairs.

Trying it today however revealed that the amp upstairs does not receive a signal when the one downstairs is connected to the little splitter.
    I am using normal 50 Ohm phono cable...I've heard that if I use 75 Ohm, this makes a difference quality-wise, but this shouldn't be the problem when splitting the signal should it?
    Is it something to do with splitting the impedance through two signals or something that's causing it not to work?

Help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,405
    Fraid I've got no idea why it may be happening but have you tried putting the splitter in the back of the input on the nearest amp then plugging the lead from the DVD (you made need to get a conveter to change the lead plug from male to female...) but THEN going to the unit downstairs from the amp upstairs?

Does that make sense or have my "chillout after a poo day" beers made me talk even more rubbish than usual...?

3. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    That's a good idea...so split at the input instead of hte output...I'll give that a try :cool:

4. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    And unfortunately the same happened when I tried that :confused:

I will probably have to make some sort of mini switch box with phono sockets, a switch, etc to change between the two outputs instead of having both connected. ....That shouldn't cause any harm should it?

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Besides the impedance the loss in a long cable run will be higher and thus cause the signal to degrade.
    If you want cheap 75 Ohm cable use SAT cable from the handy mart though I also would recommend a switch box or booster even (depending on the total length).
    A switch box will of course not cause any harm, just a minor inconvenience.

6. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Unfortunately you can't split Coaxial Digital outputs, I don't know why, but the recievers can't lock onto the half strength signal. I tried it with several different components when I used to work in an AV store, and it would never work.