Digital AV Port On The Gamecube

quarry2006

Only noticed this the other day (well I have only had the thing four years!). What's it for? What lead will connect to it?

I'm just getting another lease of life out of my Cube (games I couldn't afford first hand I've since bought pre-owned - The Wind Waker, Killer 7 and XIII - and now I have an amp I can get decent sound out of some old favourites like the Resident Evil and Rogue Squadron series) and wondered what new joys connecting to this mysterious port might bring.

Anotherlimey

Its for component lead/connection, Just got mine and it looks fantastic, Loving Zelda ect through it, Oh and did i mention Resident evil 4? Amazing game :thumbsup:

Racquel Darrian

Anotherlimey said:
Its for component lead/connection, Just got mine and it looks fantastic, Loving Zelda ect through it, Oh and did i mention Resident evil 4? Amazing game :thumbsup:
Are these PAL or NTSC games?

quarry2006

Marvellous. Well, pay-day fast approaches so that's the first thing I'll be looking for when I pick up my pay packet.

t-force

Please bear in mind that the component connection is not that different in terms of quality the the RGB connection if you're playing PAL games. Where it really comes into its own is if you have Freeloader and play NTSC prog scan enabled games with it - that's nice. F-Zero in prog scan is a real thing of beauty!

quarry2006

Thanks, T-force. Just been reading some of the threads on componet cable and it won't be worth my while as the only NTSC game I have is Animal Crossing.

Nay mind, everything looks good enough with RGB (I don't have the cash to start getting my fave games on NTSC so I'll stick with the set-up I have now).

kez

is there a list anywhere of NTSC PS-enabled games?

t-force

Not that I know of, but here are some:

Mario Sunshine, Mario KArt: Double Dash, Metroid Prime (+ Echoes), F-Zero GX, Animal Crossing, Starfox Adventures, Soul Calibur II, Zelda: Wind Waker, Zelda: OoT & Master Quest, Zelda: COllector's edition (yes, even the NES games!), Super Monkey Ball 1 + 2, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness, Rogue Squadron 2 + 3, Viewtiful Joe 1, 2 & Red Hot Rumble, Super Smash Brothers Melee, PAper Mario 2, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Strikers, Mario Baseball, Donkey Konga 1 + 2, & Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes.

That's about all I can think of for the moment. The vast majority of first party games are prog scan enabled though. A good rule of thumb is that if the PAL version has a 60 Hz mode, then the NTSC version will be prog scan. I don't think it's 100% reliable, but it's close.

Intya

Final Fantasy : Crystal Chronicles is 50Hz only, and the NTSC version has progressive scan. So yeah, you're not reliable. :)

EDIT: Sorry, that came across a bit harsh!

-=Rob=-

I'm actually running the standard Red/White/Yellow cables into my Panasonic DVD Recorder (AV4) and out via Optical to my Amp and Component into my PX60. Sound and picture is awesome....