1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital AV out on GC

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Momo, May 5, 2002.

1. Momo

Momo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to connect my cube through an AV amp and one of the ways will be to take the L & R phonos fom the AV cable that comes with it and instead of putting them in the back of the TV put into two spare inputs on the back of that amp.
    I know its not dolby digital but at least it will be surround sound of a sort.
    Now if I was then to use the RGB cable, I lose the phono inputs to the amp but all is not lost because maybe the digital AV out socket on the back of the cube allows me to make the connection to the amp ?
    Unfortunately apart from a mention in the GC instruction booklet I can't find any further info on the digital AV socket, unless my eyes are failing me of course !
    Can anybody help ?

Steve

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The DV Out on the Gamecube does not carry any audio signals. It is solely used for carrying a Component Video signal. You have two options:

1. Open the RGB Scart Plug and snip the Audio L and R wires. Remove some sheath so you can now take these wires outside the Scart Plug. Close the Scart Plug back up. Solder phono plugs to the L/R audio wires and plug them in to your amp.

2. It's possible to get an RGB signal out of the Component Cable with a little modification, thereby freeing up your Cube's Multi-out for audio use. If you're handy with a soldering iron, follow the link in my sig. for instructions on how to do this. This is an expensive option though as it will cost you in the region of £50 for the parts. If you don't want to or can't make the lead, I'll do it for you. :)

Otherwise, a 3rd party RGB Scart with trailing L/R phono's may be released at some point in the future.

3. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Wrong thread

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've got a much easier solution, get a scart "insert" if you dont like soldering!

Here's one from Maplin

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/de...5740&modulecode=&moduleno=24483&manufacturer=

and here's another (cheaper one) from Maplin

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/de...5740&modulecode=&moduleno=28831&manufacturer=

Personally i've modified my scart switch box to add sound output from the back of the scart output socket, and I use a scart cable with the sound wires cut so the sound doesn't get to the TV at all. I can definately reccomend this box if you are short on RGB scart sockets:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/de...55740&modulecode=&moduleno=9468&manufacturer=

5. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the £9 Argos scart switcher has built in audio outs, I am using it with no problems at the moment.

6. Momo

Momo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Big Jim

My Tv has no audio outs and just 1 scart, so the Argos box with offical RGB cable and QED phono's seemed my best option and as you said it worked a treat.
    I was suffering some audio breakthrough from another source but found I'd also inadvertantly depressed one of the record switches. Once I released this all was fine.
    Purists would argue that the Argos box just adds more switches into the system and degrades sound / video and I would have to agree. In the short term till I get a better Tv with plenty of its own Scart sockets this fix is fine. At that point and having paid 20 quid for the RGB cable I guess I'll take Groundy's advice, get my soldering iron out and try to wire in some phono's to it.

7. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,444
    Hi,

I have read these threads, and it does not look like;

1. that there is a cable (scart or s-vhs) that goes from the digital AV and connects to a TV

and

So i could use the analogue av port for sound through my decoder.

2. Is it not this simple, or do i have to wire up a lead as well. A scart lead for picture and with left and right phonos for sound (surround). Can i buy a good one from a supplier?.

3. These scart boxes from maplins, are they the last option, in terms of quality, woould you have to plug the scart into the tv, and then plug the cube rgb scart into the box, and then plug in some phonos in the scart box to the (sound) amp/decoder? Are these any good, and would i still get surround sound. Don't seem to be nowhere near as good as a straight connection like the PS2 digital out (toshlink).

Any info would be nice

rai

8. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    If you have audio out on your TV, you could take an RGB SCART from cube to TV and then pick the audio up from the TV to your amp.

This is what I am intending to do. I currently have the supplied composite video and the audio to the TV (I originally ran the whole lot through my amp, but I wanted to test the audio outs on the TV to make sure it works before I buy an RGB lead.

Which brings me to my current problem - I understand that the only RGB lead around at present is the Nintendo one. Does anyone know where I might get one? I have tried all of the shops in Leeds with no luck and they I can't find one on the net either. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Andy

9. Momo

Momo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried Toys R Us
    My local one didn't have any the during the first release of the cube but a week later, they were there on the shelf.

10. jpninja776

jpninja776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to hook a GameCube to a computer or computer monitor?

11. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
  12. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of those boxes will just let it display properly on the monitor, it will not give you a better picture.

if you have a US or Japanese Cube with a digital out port (or US/Jap games on UK cube via freeloader) you can make up a custom VGA cable which will run progressive scan compatible games at 480p rather than 480i. The picture is greatly improved by doing this - it is one of the main reasons for having US cube games.
    You can often find these cables second hand now. Try asking on the NTSC-uk forum.
    Details on cable:
    http://www.planetgamecube.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=4150

13. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0