Digital audio output on digibox?

R

rjs1974

Hello,

If I buy a digibox with digital audio output, how do I connect it to my DENON 2802 amp, since I am already using the "Digital In" on the amp for my DVD player's audio output?

Thanks!

Surely you've got more than one digital input on the amp?
Is it a coax output on the box and you are using the coax input on the amp and its the only one?

Either use an optical for the dvd drive if you have one spare or you can buy coax to toslink convertor boxes and switchboxes from lektropacks and keene ( do search).

Originally posted by rjs1974
Hello,

If I buy a digibox with digital audio output, how do I connect it to my DENON 2802 amp, since I am already using the "Digital In" on the amp for my DVD player's audio output?

Thanks!

The only Sky Digital receiver with digital out is Sky+.
The connection is optical Toslink. As Mr.D says, you would plug the optical cable into a free optical-in on the amp. It doesn't matter what the input is called, it should work.

If you haven't got a digital connector free, then there are switch type devices available, along with the optical<->coax converters mentioned by Mr.D.

Originally posted by AV Junky
The only Sky Digital receiver with digital out is Sky+.

Sky+ or Sony VTX-750, -760.

Mike.

I didn't mean a Sky digibox, I meant a free to air digibox.

Presumably, as long as there are no broadcasts being made in DD5.1 or even ProLogic, there is not currently much point in having digital audio output anyway?

Not quite. Sure, you'll get your two channels without a digital output but better digital-to-analogue conversion is to be found within most a/v amps. I used to route my Sony 760 (Sky box) through a Denon AVC-A1D (which has great A -> D and uses Denon's AL24 processing) and it sounded noticeably better than it did when using the digibox's analogue output.

Mike.
Mike.

Originally posted by Flimber
Sky+ or Sony VTX-750, -760.

Mike.

Hello Flimber

I meant a proper digital out, not the two-channel only job fitted to the Sony boxes ;)

Didn't want to encourage someone to buy a Sony box, thinking that they were going to get DD5.1 from it (if only :( ).

But yes, point conceded, the Sony boxes do have the Toslink. Would be convenient for someone with an auto-switching amp or receiver.

Actually I'm pretty sure my Nokia gondigital box has a coax digital output. It'll be PCM stereo rather than a 5.1 bitstream but I never use it as the coax input on my amp is used for my HTPC output. It probably is a step up in quality compared with the analogue outputs though.

IIRC, the Nokia Mediamaster 9850 (?) was the only ITVDigital box with a coax output.

Mike.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom