1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital audio inputs on Toshiba

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ron240, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I wonder if anybody has experienced this problem? I have a Toshiba 32ZDO9B and have my DVD connected to it using a coaxial cable.I also have my PS2 connected using an optical cable as i am using the component inputs for the picture(which is superb).The problem is - i cannot get sound from my PS2 through the optical cable unless i disconnect the coaxial lead coming from the DVD.When i do this the sound is excellent,but cuts off completely when i plug in the coaxial cable again. I phoned Toshiba and they said that i should be able to switch between digital audio inputs from different sources and that there was probably a problem with the tv. Unfortunately the way of finding out exactly what the problem is might not be simple,and therefore not worth the effort. Has anybody tried this with either the DO9B or the P18P?

2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again Ron

I've just tried it (minidisc to optical in with coax lead plugged in) and the same happens. After taking the coax plug out the optical digital sound was restored. I thought that by having the DVD off would have been enough, but it seems that the lead has to be unplugged.

Is this a fault or a "feature"?

Pathfinder

3. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Thanks a lot Pathfinder. At least now i know that it's not just my tv that does this.If it is a "feature" then it's certainly not a user friendly one :( Like i said,when i phoned Toshiba they said that this should not happen but you never know if you are getting the right information,a lot of the time it depends on who you are speaking to.
    I went to see a local tv engineering firm yesterday and had a long talk to the guy about this and other problems(very interesting),and he is going to see if he can dig up anything about it,will let you know if he does.In the meantime it looks like i'm going back to using my ordinary scart from my PS2 cause i'm not pulling the cable out every time.It's a shame though cause the picture was so good using component.
    While i was writing this i just received an order that i placed with Empire Direct on Monday for a QED Sqart AV4110 costing £37.01.That was really good price and service :)

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The earlier Toshiba models, you had to choose one of the connection methods. You could not do both at the same time.

The later models, such as the ZP18P, allow you to use both methods for different scarts.

5. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Thanks Doubledoom,this was probably the answer that i least wanted to hear but would seem the most likely as manufacturers are always changing specs.
    I'm getting that uncontrolable urge to spend more money now.....Marantz SR4200 perhaps :rolleyes: