1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital audio from set top box

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by paulus, Jul 5, 2003.

1. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had my Pace box for a while now and I'm fairly happy with it. I've also go a reasonable HC set up... Sony 32", Marantz SR5300 and Mission speakers. The sound from DVD's and CD's is really good but I think the sound from the TV could be better.

Is it going to make a big difference if I buy a new digi box like the Netgem which has an optical digital output to the amp?

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Freeview does not carry AC3 audio. At the moment a way to achieve a means to an end would be to subscribe to Sky+.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a Marantz SR-5300, it is fed by analogue from TV, in addition my Nokia Freeview is connected by co-axial digital, Skyplus+ and Sony Sky digibox are connected by optical digital.
    Everything is connected to my TV by scart, the RCA phono cables then connect to the Marantz, I have compared the analogue sound and the digital.
    My preference is
    1. NICAM from TV. ( analogue connection ).
    2. Skyplus+ / Sony Sky digibox ( optical connection ).
    3. Nokia Freeview ( co-axial connection ).
    4. The analogue connection from TV from the above sources.

I haven't tried Dolby Digital 5.1 from Sky as I only watch non-subscription channels.

4. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So you are saying that the analogue sound from your TV (via scart and RCA cables) is better than the digital output from your Nokia direct to your SR5300?

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, NICAM from TV sounds better than the digital audio from my Nokia or Skyplus+ / Sony.
    The digital audio from Nokia or Skyplus+ / Sony is better than using analogue connections from them.

This is based on listening to C5 - The Shield, CSI / CSI Miami, Boomtown, Angel.
    C4 - ER, Six Feet Under. World Rally.
    BBC - Buffy The Vampire Slayer, 24, MotoGp / Superbikes. ITV F1, British Touring Car Championship.
    Various music things like Top Of The Pops, Later With Jools Holland, The Old Grey Whistle Test, Re:Covered and the like. :)

6. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK, thanks for that :smashin:

7. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leading on from this, I've noticed that when I connect the 221T to a receiver that the sound quality is sub-par when compared to my VCR which processes a NICAM stereo signal .

If I recall the DTT boxes use mpeg for sound, and therefore the likelihood of receiving any form of audio superior to NICAM would have to lie with a fabled DD5.1 broadcast which the 221T theoretically could process and output . Even though this is the case, I found that the audio output from the phono plugs didn't even sound as though it was in stereo, even though it was connected to a receiver .

The questions are:
    Do broadcasters currently transmit digital channels with stereo encoding?
    Does the 221T process and output a stereo signal when it receives one?
    Is the mpeg audio codec used stereo or multichannel(mpeg 2.0)?