1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital audio from HTPC to old yammie amp

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by oscar_p, Sep 22, 2003.

1. oscar_p

oscar_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I'm trying to set up an HTPC using an M-Audio sound card and Zplayer pro - the sound will be sent to a Yamaha R392RDS amp (5yrs old now) which is in another room (approx 10m away)

AFAIK I have 2 options for connecting the audio:

1. The M-Audio has both a RCA digital output, but the yammie amp does not have a digital input. Is there any way of connecting the digital output to the yamma (e.g. split out into 5:1 etc. Upside = one long cable)

2. The M-Audio has distinct 7:1 audio outputs. These could be connected to the 5:1 input of the amp (downside = lots of cabling !)

My thinking is that I'm going to gave to go down route 2, unless I upgrade my amp (which I don't really want to do)

Any comments folks,
    Many thanks,
    Cheers
    Oscar

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Route 2 :)

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just buy a new amp. If you just want a digital input and reasonable sound, it shouldn't break the £150-£200 price bracket.

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    fantastic advise there:rolleyes: forget the problem - just spend £200. nice one.

5. oscar_p

oscar_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My thoughts exactly.
    Either spend £200 or £6 for some cables
    Its a no brainer !!!
    OscarP