Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Digital Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by calvinhobbes, Feb 5, 2003.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to use my PC as the basis for my home audio and theatre. I am planning on getting the TerraTec Aureon sound card which has 8 (7.1) channel sound, with a digital input and output, as I hear that’s the best on the market. My PC already has a DVD+RW drive, so I don’t need that.

Could someone tell me what else I need for a high quality audio and theatre experience? Do I just need an Amp with speakers or do I need a pre-amp or receiver. If its just the amp + speakers, does anyone have a suggestion for an amp+speaker system that can take digital input and directly convert it to 8 channel digital sound rather than going through DAC (or does it not make a difference to sound quality)? I’m looking to spend less than £500.

Any thoughts / help would be much appreciated.
    :)

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any modern AV receiver should accept the digital output from your soundcard in a pure digital form.
    If you want to use the card's onboard decoding then a set of seven single channel power amplifiers and a 7.1 speaker set will do the job, but you will be using the sound card's DAC rather than the one in an AV receiver.
    HTH