Digital Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brianjhussey, May 18, 2002.

1. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can anyone advise how long it will be before a digital amp becomes available?
    What are the advantages,are they worth waiting for and how expensive are they likely to be?

TIA, Brian.

2. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Obviously a dumb question, huh??

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What do you mean by a digital amp!?

ad

4. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the Sony DAV systems are digital amplifiers aren't they ?

If not the only other digital amps I've heard of are 5x100W from Sony, Panasonic and Phillips. These arent available yet as far as I know but all were boastnig that they'd ber able to have these in production in 12 months.

So -as I understand it- the DAV systems will give you 5x40W and the meatier units are another full year away......

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    brian, not so dumb i take it you mean the smaller cool running 1 bit amps like sharp and a couple of other firms have out already? from what i've read they look to be a good concept but are still in their infancy. i am sure nic and uncle eric to name two, could tell you more, also try a search on google.

6. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Following the installation of a new kitchen, which involved some structural alterations, I was left with an additional room measuring 14 feet by 9 foot 6 inches. The original plan was for this to be a study/computer room but gradually I am thinking of installing a dedicated Home Cinema room, on a modest basis.

Being a novice, I am doing some research in preparation for demonstations etc. In so doing, I came across an article in What Video and TV from Feb.2001 which made reference to the research being done by several manufacturers of AV equipment into true digital amplifiers with the prospect of availability in mid 2002.

So, Buns, I was not sure what I meant but hoped someone would point me in the right direction, which is exactly what Stranger did. I came across several interesting via Google.
    Many thanks, Stranger and thank you also Craig from Australia.

As yet, I don't think this item of equipment is currently available.

Brian.

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a vague idea what you are meaning......

A few years back i recall a nad digital amp. What it suggests to me is an amp which operates in the digital domain as opposed to the analogue. Quite what that means i dont know......i would presume that the amp will process digital, so it would convert an incoming analogue signal to a digital one.....for what reason i have not a clue!

ad

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The TACT Millenium is a true digital amp but stereo only. I think Sharp offers one, too.

Except for so-called lifestyle systems I have not seen a digital AV amplifier/receiver.

9. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use Google and search for Sharp Digital Amp and you will find the information you are seeking or go directly to http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/010925-2.html

10. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Infomatique,

Many thanks for your help.
    Whilst it was a very interesting news item, not understanding completely the technical jargon, I can only assume that a pure digital alternative to, say, a Denon 3802 is unlikely to be available in the very near future.

Once again , thank you, Brian.

11. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Following on from the earlier correspondence, there is a very interesting article in issue thirteen of Home Cinema Essential concerning digital amplifiers and the imminent availability of related gear.

12. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Digital or class D switching amplifiers indeed work completely in the digital domain. They are very efficient (much more so than class AB or class A amplifiers), so they don't run hot and have very high power ratings for their size. They could very well be the future for smaller systems, for which they will do wonders for sound quality and be cheap to produce in large quantities. For the high-end, it might take a bit longer to be accepted.

A class D amplifier works with pulses of equal amplitude instead of analogue waveforms with varying amplitude. The incoming PCM (Pulse Code Modulated) signal is converted to a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) signal, in which the width of the pulses is proportional to the height of the analogue waveform. The more pulses are generated, the more power will be delivered to the speaker. Volume is controlled by varying the height of the pulses. The "pulse train" is so fast, the speaker "sees" a normal "analogue" signal.

13. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm,

Varying the height and width of the pulses doesn't sound very "digital" to me - just another take on analogue systems.

To call them digital amplifiers smells of marketing BS to me!

14. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The width of the pulse is actually several pulses next to eachother. Each pulse has the same time constant. The height of the pulse might or might not be digitally controlled (I don't know, have to look that up).

Mind you, this is NOT marketing hype! It is quite a revolution actually!

15. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps, but we'll have to wait and see.

16. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They are here already! I listened to the TacT RCS 2.0 room correction 2 channel pre-amp and it's sensational! I have also heard the TacT Millennium, which has some extreme potential. It sounds a bit dry, but has some unique traits no other class AB/A amp has.

We'll see how this all turns out. I think it will be big.

17. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They (digital amps/systems) have been here for a while - yet to make any real impact. (but fair enough, it's still early days I suppose).

The models you mention are probably the pinnacle of this technology, and together will set you back around £10000 in the UK.
    That puts them up against some pretty formidable conventional competition, and it doesn't seem as if they are winning.