Digisenders and "Magic Eyes" - advice needed.

PerfRen

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here, so I hope I have posted in the right place for the help I need :) Sorry if it is a lot of questions, I just want to get it right as easy as possible.

I have just moved home to a bigger house and i'm in the process of setting up sharing the signal from my new Sky+ HD box to other devices around the house.

Previously, my last house was small enough to run a coaxial cable from the 'RF2 OUT' of my original Standard Sky box to a standard 17'' TV in my bedroom. I had a Magic Eye working very well at the end of the coaxial plugged into the 17'' TV and bought a second standard Sky remote, so all worked perfect the whole time - great picture and quick remote control usage. NB: I have tested a 5m coax cable from the 'RF2 OUT' of my new HD box to my 17'' TV to see if the magic eye still works with my new Sky+ HD remote and it does :)

To lay cable around my new home to get the same result, would be fairly costly, and it would be really awkward to do, due to the layout. So instead for the TV in the bedroom, I have bought the DigiSender HQ 5.8 Ghz (AEI Security & Communications - News & Articles - DigiSender HQ 5.8Ghz Video Sender now released). This was really simple to setup in a matter of minutes and the picture quality is great but it has one major flaw... no matter what I do, I cannot get the Sky+ HD remote to work (regardless of remote channel setting and IR device placement) and if I manage to get the signal through to the Sky+ HD box, it is so slow (huge delay from when I press the remote buttons). This means if I am in the bedroom, I have to go downstairs to change channels, which I didnt have to do before.

So, I have been wondering about other remote/wireless setups that are available to buy/make, that will let me use my old Magic Eye again through the 'coax in' on my 17'' TV and send the remote signal back to my Sky+ HD box.

1) As the DigiSender HQ receiver uses SCART and normally plugs into the scart socket of my 2nd TV, I was wondering if I could plug it into the 'SCART input' of a 'RF Modulator' a friend gave me to try, and use the 'TV/VCR Out' to a stadard 'Aerial Input' and set it to a normal channel on my TV, plugging in the Magic Eye I used to use, 'inline', as per normal?

Would the magic eye work this way and send the 'channel change signal' back through the coax cable, through the RF Modulator, then through the DigiSender receiver? I only ask, as the DigiSender receiver must be two-way, as it sends back a signal to the little IR device anyway. If I unplugged this IR device, would the signal from the magic eye go back to the Sky+ HD box via the scart connection on the bigger DigiSender Sender unit or would I need a second RF Modulator plugged into the 'RF2 Out' and then plug the DigiSender Sender unit into this? (ie. one at each end for changing the connections from SCART to RF)

2) If the above doesnt work, would the following 5.8Ghz Wireless RF Sender work from the 'RF2 Out' of my Sky+ HD box to the 'coax in' of my 2nd TV so I could use the magic eye? (Keene Electronics) I realise I would have to convert from the 3 RCA of the receiver, to coax connection, to get it to go into my TV with the magic eye.

3) If neither of the others above work, would I be able to use a coax cable from the 'RF2 Out' via a 'RF-Cat5' balun (TV/FM/RF via Cat5 - RJ45 connector --- MadNat Audio and Video Distribution) through to a device like the 'BT Comtrend Powerline HD Ethernet' sender (BT Comtrend Powerline HD Ethernet Female Kit (038196) - dabs.com) and then reversing the process from the sender, via a 2nd balun, through to a 2nd coax cable, then my magic eye, into the TV upstairs?

I would really like to get an 'inexpensive' wireless solution to work to get my magic eye working via the 'Aerial In' socket of my TV upstairs (changes Sky channels so much better and easier than the flakey IR device) and if either points 2) or 3) above work, then I can use my DigiSender units to a small TV in the kitchen, so that it doesnt go to waste.

If all else fails, can anyone tell me how (if at all possible) I can get my magic eye to change sky channels getting a signal back to my Sky+ HD box (not via laying a cable throughout my home lol) and if that is not possible, how to make the IR device from my digisender work more efficiently :) (I have read and watched all the support documentation for the device and have nothing interfering with it or blocking it.)

Many thanks in advance, for any help given :)

Hi, welcome to AVF, and on your first note you have missed this fixed supermod thread that was immediately above where you started yours:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/satellite-tv/411852-no-sky-freesat-related-threads-here.html
On your problem am I right to summarise that you are using videosenders and they work one way, in getting the programmmes to the extra TVs, but not the other way, in getting the IR back to the receiver?
If so why not try an inexpensive separate IR /RF/IR extender?

Last edited:
Sorry for missing the thread - first time here and not a big forum user.

Yes, "one" of my many questions that I would like answered, is that I am having problems in getting the IR back to the receiver. The DigiSender just wont send the signal back regardless of remote channel selected or IR device placement.

You mention an inexpensive separate IR /RF/IR extender? I have not come across these in my searches. Do you have any links as an example please? Are they any good? Would one work with Sky+ HD remotes? Are they wireless too? As my first post mentions, I do not want to start laying a cable throughout my home :)

Many thanks for moving the post to its correct home and helping me out :)

Has this post been moved to the wrong forum group, as I'm not sure questions about wireless setups are answered here?

Sorry for being a newbie and not knowing what to expect.

That's OK about missing the instruction - it's been done before and no doubt will be done again!
This is about Sky HD so you're OK here where I moved you.
Just do a search on Google, or in Amazon, for IR Extender - Powermids are typical examples.
One unit accepts IR from any remote, converts it to RF, sends that to the other unit, that turns it back to IR, and sends it to the devices.
Feel free to repeat any of the other questions.:D

Thanks again for your help :)

I will have a look into it - will it work with Sky+ HD Remotes do you know?

Can anyone else answer my questions 1) 2) and 3) above in my first post? There must be some clever wireless setups that members on here have done.

That's OK, and yes, they take and extend any form of IR.
You might want to make the thread header more specific to attract technical replies - let me know if you do.

Thanks for the offer - I did say I was new to forums!

Could you possibly help with my post title to get more technical help with the 3 questions I have?

Cheers again!

OK - That's why I suggested a change - HTH - Logi

I agree with the Powermid suggestion if all else fails. However, first I suggest you contact AEI to determine why their product isn't fully working.

I have been in touch with AEI and used their online support feature too and nothing they suggests works. I have even used my phone camera to see if the IR is working and it is and have it placed in front of the the Sky HD box receiver (15mm to the left of the Telephone symbol) and it wont do anything.

I thought if I bought something like the Pyramid system, I could get the remote finally working as the picture and sound are great even if I cant get the remote to work!

A magic eye connected to RF2 out by coax (with rf2 power turned on), should relay sky remote control signals back to a sky box. There is no need to connect it to a TV.

A magic eye connected to RF2 out by coax (with rf2 power turned on), should relay sky remote control signals back to a sky box. There is no need to connect it to a TV.

Hi Graham - as mentioned in my first 'big' post, I have used a magic eye via RF2 Out before but now I need a wireless setup. Thanks for the reply though :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom