Digisender and Sky digital interference

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by littlechurchill, Jun 18, 2005.

1. littlechurchill

littlechurchill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mods, please moved this if Ive posted in the wrong forum

I stumbled across this forum while searching for a cure to a problem I was having with my digisender. I couldnt find the answer anywhere but some posts here pointed me in the right direction so I thought Id register and hopefully help anyone having the same problem.

Occasionally I was not able to use the remote extender over the digisenders. I would try and change the sky channel from another room but couldnt. Previously it had been working. I started to trace the changes i had done to my setup, the main one being a new Plasma next to the source sender. At first I though this was the problem but it turned out it wasnt. What I was noticing was on the front of the digisender source, both red lights were on constant where there should only be one. The other light I assume was for remote control indication.

This light would occasionally go out and I could control the box from elsewhere when this happened, but it was on and off intermittent.

I could take the remote extender lead out of the source digisender and the light would go out

After a while of thinking I was moving the equipment about and noticed the light went off when I touched the Sky box. I clicked that somehow I was earthing the box. What I then realiased is that I had also removed the coax cable when I setup the Plasma as I only used scart. It was acting as an earth the whole time!

Putting the coax back in has solved my problem

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Do you think I am masking a problem or do Sky boxes suffer from bad earthing?

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Ive got the same problem. I thought it might be my wireless pc network interfering. I will try what you did and post back

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky boxes are not earthed. There is only a two-pin plug on the box. The dish is supposed to be earthed, but I've yet to see an installation where it has been done.

You can also have problems with remote controls with plasma TV's because plasma screens emit infra-red, which can blind the remote sensor.

4. littlechurchill

littlechurchill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick, I assumed the Plasma was the problem. I always go by the rule, if it was working....what have you changed to make it stop. Found the earthing problem completely by accident (Id even gone and bought a Digisender Gold set to see if the sender had gone in some way!). Shocked to here that it could be common though...have sky not addressed it or is it the installers who are not following through?

Hope it works Dan

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The problem is that the Sky boxes and most modern TV's have "switched mode" power supplies which can allow small amounts of current to flow to earth. It's fairly harmless, but if you have several devices with this type of supply connected together (TV, Sky box, DVD player, etc) the currents can add up to give you a "bite".

It's good practice to earth the dish with some stout earthing cable down to a ground stake, but I don't know of many household installers that do it. I don't really think that many are equipped to do it.

6. quodsolaris

quodsolaris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Infra-red interference of your remote control?

Plasma & LCD TVs (mine is TX-37LZD85F) emit infra-red light which can interfere with some remote control systems. My digital set-top box was driving me nuts because sometimes the remote would work, and sometimes it wouldn't.

I solved this problem by placing insulation tape around the infra-red receiver (which in the case of a UPC Mediabox HD DVR is hidden behind the black perspex next to the REC button) I left a window of about 1 cm across and 0.5 cm high for the signal to pass through. This has stopped the stray infra-red from my LCD TV getting into the IR receiver.

In the case of IR receivers that are flush with the front of the set-top box/dvd player whatever, you can use tape to build a small wall around the IR receiver to keep out the stray IR signals and only allow signals from directly in front of the device.