Digilinx - Help with complete rebuild

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by PLewitt, Jan 13, 2008.

1. PLewitt

PLewitt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We are in the process of totally rebuilding a large old London terraced house. We have done this before and used individual systems (Opus 500, ilight, CCTV etc...) but we am now considering a fuller automation system.

We very much like ilight and IP based CCTV and would like a system to control it. Also we will use Unico air con and have a split between rads and underfloor heating throughout. On the audio/video side we will have 16 potenial audio zones (many unconnected on day1) and 10 video (again only 3 connected on day 1)

I am attracted to Digilinx because of the integration aspects and would hope to be able to distribute 6-8 internal & external cameras via the system and view them on the key pads.

Is this possible? Finally am I stretching Digilinx? Do I need to go to Crestron/AMX? Are there alarm systems NACOSS rated that integrate into Digilinx?

I will be meeting with installers shortly and would welcome suggestions/recommendations.

many thanks

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Digilinx will do all that provided you have the right HVAC components, and a LOT cheaper and more easily than Crestron. Alarms, personally I would not integrate an alarm into any home automation, too mission critical. I'd love to quote you on that job.

3. PLewitt

PLewitt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw - Will call to have you quote. To be clear the ilight can be controlled by the Digilink right away or is there a lot of extra programming that needs to be done. I was not aware that iLight/Polaron was a Digilink partner.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    We'd have to get a .lua driver written for iLight if you are wedded to them, not a major issue. In a project of this size, it would not be a problem. Alternatively you could use a known Netstreams partner, but not essential. HVAC, all you really need to specify is the right thermostat to gain control, that should not be too difficult.

5. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    MAW and PLewitt,

ilight was already in the pipeline when I left the employ of the distributor in November.

V.

6. DannyD4315

DannyD4315

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have you thought about Control4 or have you set your heart on Netstreams?

Control4 is well worth a look.

Danny

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It certainly is, though now in the light of recent price cuts it's nearer crestron than Digilinx.

8. DannyD4315

DannyD4315

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    what price cuts are these? has digilinx been price cut? Cause as I remember the cost of control4 is half that of digilinx. Therefore no where near the price of crestron!

How much is a normal touchscreen from netstreams?

Cheers

Danny

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    the beauty of the system is in the design not price of the components, clever use of components is what is all about.............that makes for a clever system, custom driver can be written but its important 3rd party systems are suitable.

10. DannyD4315

DannyD4315

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    HD, fairplay I agree with that in part, however cost is an issue 9 times out of 10, if it wasnt then we would all have AMX in our houses. My issues is that Control4 can do most if not the same as netstreams for the half the cost last time I looked. I have had netstreams/digilinxs demonstrated to me and I was not all that impressed, just thought it was nothing special and nothing new.

Thanks

Danny

11. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Are you looking for discrete room control of HVAC/aircon? Last time I looked at Unico it was a central air con/ventilation system that meant when it was running all rooms received the same temperature supply air from their outlets. This meant no easy way to have cooling in one room and heating in another unless the room heating ran at the same time as the cooling!

If you are running 3 or 4 separate kinds of heating & cooling then you really need something more sophisticated than networked thermostats so that the HVAC is fully controlled & interlocked correctly. There is at least 1 UK supplied/supported control system that has tried & tested Digilinx drivers to handle this type of HVAC application.

12. 101music

101music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Control 4 is the best thing since sliced bread in my humble opinion...stick a C4 thermostat in each room and you have all you need to do HVAC

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    PErhaps from a control end but from an AV end i think control 4 is far more limited compared to the newly expanded Digilinx/streamnet product line up i have look at control 4 but never used it in anger. Digilinx takes a far more careful and detailed design process than Netstreams would have you beleive to get the most from the system.

14. justin@hc&b

[email protected]&b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    just to let you know the ilight driver is avalible for download now :smashin:

15. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Er..maybe not! Networked stats may be ok for simple heating projects but how does the C4 thermostat deal with interlocking rads/underfloor heating with air con? Can it operate the underfloor heating actuators and also integrate the heating demand for the manifold pump? How does it deal with control valves downstream that isolate the separate parts of the heatint system. What about heating demand signals for the boiler (or boilers in larger systems)? How does it deal with hot water? How many time programmes does it allow and will it provide simple intelligent override for exceptions - working from home today or going on holiday?

As I said it is not just a case of using a few stats when controlling several independent heating and cooling systems. HVAC plant is becoming increasingly sophisticated and needs an appropraite package of controls to make it work properly, maximising energy efficiency without compromising comfort, and making what can be complicated HVAC plant very easy to use by hiding the plant complexity from the user.

There are "proper" HVAC control systems from established HVAC manufacturers such as Honeywell that include all of the intelligent HVAC functionality as embedded application code so that it is guaranteed to work effectively and can be integrated to other systems seamlessly i.e. Digilinx amongst others.

16. PLewitt

PLewitt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much heat is generated by the Digilinx and how much space do I realistically need. I realise it is an open ended question but I am just looking for some guidelines rather then specifics.

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You'll need at least 2 power supplies, a server, and any radio kit, and 1, maybe 2 24 port hubs for this size install. That's 11u of rack space. All the rest of it is spread out around the house, in ceiling, in wall, in with your HC kit in a cupboard.

18. DannyD4315

DannyD4315

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree that hesting integration is a problem with Control4, we have not used any of the thermostats in projects as of yet, but as I understand it it is only really for a boiler scenario, not underfloor heating.

If you are looking for full integration of heating using seperate zones then Control4 is probably not your answer, but in my opinion, Control4 has better products than netstreams/digilynx and they are always coming out with new better products, ie 7" wireless touchscreen in March, and a new range of controllers that will expand the system even further.

This is not to say netstreams is not any good, just that given the choice (and I have been) I would chose Control4 over netstreams 99% of the time (and not only because of the significant price difference).

Cheers

Danny

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I would see things the other way, we'll have to agree to differ. I have put my money where my mouth is, and have a digilinx system myself. Audio wise, it's the dogs dangly bits, only to be enhanced by the judicious addition of Naimnet components, like their streamnet DAB radio, and a 90WPC power amp.

20. DannyD4315

DannyD4315

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think we will have to agree to differ, each to their own. We have looked at both systems, and control4 came out on top.

Its swings and roundabouts for everyone.

Cheers

Danny

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Depends very much on the equimpent and its configuration, one of the advantages of the system is you can spread it about, keep the network hardware in the Loft, basement out of sight and keep the servers etc in a nice rack in the library, in the Cinema room or in a kitchen cupboard. So its easy to load a new CD/DVD, looking at more expansive systems one big advantage of digilinx its its spread about you dont have one central brain controller and loads of matrix switches cooking at medium in crowded rack in fact in medium size installs (5-8 rooms) you dont need a 19" rack if you dont want one.

THe lighting HVAC intefaces sit with the lighting rack and HVAC controls, the AV system sits with the rest of the AV gear the AMps are in room so dont generate loads of heat in one place like big 4/8/12/16 channel power amps.

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    So if yopu want to take the music server out of the rack, if you've got a TV room with cupboard space, take 3u out of the rack.