1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digifusion FVRT200

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Vonzack, Jun 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Vonzack

Vonzack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I'm looking into getting a Freeview box with twin digital tuners, so that I can record one program and watch another aka Sky+.

Does anybody have any recommendations for the Digifusion FVRT200 or any other unit which will do this for me.

Thanks.

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The FVRT200 has not been released yet, so there are no reviews/assessments of this model. It does however come from a good pedigree (similar in some ways to the 150- albeit with a different outer casing and software enhancements). Believe it is 'due to be released' sometime this month - but PVR manufacturers are often fickle around release dates - as more than often they are delayed. Might be worth checking out emsee's site below, which compares various models - quite a few are now have twin tuners. Personally I would steer clear of single tuner models.
    www.emsee.co.uk/pvr/

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I hope it's better than the current model ! :thumbsdow

4. MysticMouflon

MysticMouflon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's now out in the wild, apparently.

5. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had mine about a week and it seems pretty good - I can't actually tell the difference between this and the 100 I used to own. It's in the bedroom and the only complaint is it's a bit noisy.But they all are.

6. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be worth looking at the Topfield 5800 - see www.emsee.co.uk/pvr/

Killer features for me:
    USB link to PC (once a recordings on the PC it's easy to edit / divx / record to DVD)
    Record 2 programs, watch a 3rd - limit being you can only have 2 muxs tuned, however as each mux has 6 or 7 channels it still gives you some choice.
    TAPS - the only PVR with an API allowing people to program it

Main downside is it's more expensive

7. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Mmmm... Can you only recored freeview? Or can you add a external device and record, like Sky, VHs etc.

8. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It only records via it's internal tuners - which therefore restricts this to freeview only :cool:

9. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had the Topfield about 6 weeks - I think it's excellent, apart from EPG, (which can be replaced by download, USB link is superb),and the tuner didn't seem as strong but is a lot better with a signall booster which also acts as a splitter and avoids that stupid little link wire on the back ( and also weakens the signal to tuner 2). They also need to get the auto time update function sorted as this has resulted in me missing Shameless !

10. England100

England100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought one yesterday - £199 in John Lewis.

Excellent!

Must be popular because when I collected it the person in front was buying one as well.

11. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    purchased on on sunday - excellent
    problems so far
    1) setting recordings up where ITV choose to split over news - from the guide I choose first session and then I can only add 1 hour to the stoptime - so cannot record in one session the film, and have to set up 2 recordings - anyone know a way around this?
    2) fan always on - wife has made a comment about the noise - see how that goes :( :(
    3) moving days is a bit involved going to calendar etc etc this has caused a few problems when the guide if i dont change something goes back to today - my ES20 has a +24 key which advances all the menu 24hours.
    4) no electronic manual on the website for this model.
    5) havent managed to get reminders to work yet - but thats poss me
    Edit: yea that was me - had to put some text - i just wanted a flag to come up - so sorted
    still working out all the functionality so maybe easy fixes to the above

12. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Noted this week that Dixons are now selling the Digifusion FVRT 200. Priced at £180.
    I haven't had any problems with the FVRT 150 purchased from Argos @ £180 around six months ago.

13. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I notice today on another forum problems with compression - apparently theres a loss in library. software fix on its way.
    I compressed a program last night - apparantly it takes 4hours in standby to compress one hour. I notice when changing to LP from SP the logo had a white fill colour and this morning it is a light red - so I suspect it changes to red when complete anyone know?
    the quality is excellent at LP mode. No idea how much space that saves - anyone ???

14. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Have never dropped below 60% free space on my Digifusion 150. Always used full SP recording and transferred to DVD what I wish to keep by connecting the PVR by scart to Panasonic E85. Picture is excellent on SP (never tried LP) but the Topfield 5800 has an even better pic. Didn't think this possible, but it is. Who needs HD TV with quality like this!

15. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    i have had a problem with the unit , I heard a crack coming from the unit and then noticed the power light on the PSU flashed a few times.
    So i took the unit back to currys and they replaced.
    The new unit has a different power supply - the old one had a mains cable connected to a box and then on the box was a lamp with a connecting cable to unit
    This new unit has the powersupply in the plug.

the fan seems a bit louder on this unit :(

anyone know the latest power supply type - have I got an old one ?

16. MKPatrick

MKPatrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I bought an FVRT200 this weekend as I intend to replace Sky+ and deny Rupert his £10 a month (for recording free channels - is there no end to Sky's cheek?).

Initial impressions:
    Build quality - much better than the FVRT100, solid casing and smart looks

EPG/GUI - not great but useable. A bit too "busy" compared to Tivo or Sky+. EPG downloaded ok and I've set several recordings so far, all of which have worked perfectly including dual tuner recordings.

Noise - not an issue. Certainly no louder than the Sky+ sitting next to it

Picture - excellent pic quality, stable, good colour reproduction

Tuners - best Freeview tuners I've seen. I am in a problematic area with a railway directly between me and the transmitter (Sandy Heath). Previous Freeview boxes have struggled when trains pass but the Fusion is rock solid. It also seems much better able to deal with heavy rain.

Value: I paid £179 at John Lewis (price matched to Currys). Considering that it is subscription free and that I get E4, abc1, UKHistory, Bright Ideas, TMF, Men & Motors all for free (which i can't with Sky) I'd say it represents fantastic value.

Overall: for basic timeshifting and recordig this box can't be beat. Better and more versatile boxes will arrive (the Topfield is already available) but for now this does exactly what I want it to do.

17. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    what type of power unit did you get with it?

18. MKPatrick

MKPatrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I got a plug top power adaptor rather than the version that came with the FVRT100's (cable - power box - lead then plug)

19. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    thanks
    I changed mine yesterday - and in the first one it had a leaflet in the box showing a different adapter - which was plug cable - power box with green lamp - cable to unit.
    this ones just has a powerunit as part of the plug

interesting - i wonder which is the latest version.

i'm very happy with the unit - but the fan noise is beginning to bug me and I'm thinking about getting my money back and buying a toppy TF5800 but its another £100 :( :(

really not sure what to do now :(

20. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi guys, I'm wary of turning this '200 thread into a '100 thread but I noticed that some of you have a transformer plug as opposed to a plug leading leading to a separate transformer box with a further lead to the PVR itself. I recently picked up a 100 cheap in Currys and it has the all-in-one transformer plug too.

Did they try opting for the separate transformer at some point with the 200 series and now they are opting for the style used in the 100? I'm just curious as to whether they've had problems with either approach and one is likely to fail!

Cheers,

Colin

P.S. If the 200 is better than the 100 then you're all right lucky sods since I think the 100 is brilliant!

21. awhb

awhb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have hadtwo 200's now (first had a minor h/w fault and had to be replaced - glad I bought from Lewis's, they have excellent customer service!); both had the transformer built-in to the plug.

And yes, they really are good. I don't know about the 100 but the 200 does what it says on the tin (including dual, concurrent recording), which given the experiences of others with Pany, et al, is surprisingly satisfying. I was expecting some glitches but nope, its never missed/messed-up a recording yet and playback also works great, as does the "pause live TV" feature.

One very happy bunny (or as you say 'lucky sod')!

22. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    i'm changing my 2nd unit today - the first power seemed to go and had a cable to a box - this has a plug psu - but its making a very high frequency noise and gave me a headache ladt night
    Glad curry's has the 28day agreement and I can just change it or get my money back.
    I'm very please with the unit recording etc and would need to spend another £100 to get a toppy 5800 if this does not work out :(

thinking about it the first one had the plu and seperate power box with a leaflet in the box - so i guess that version may be later ???

EDIT:
    changed the box - much quieter now - also has the plugPSU

23. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    The power unit on my Digifusion 150 is also one that plugs directly in to a mains socket. Markings A-POWERTEC Model SADW025-12K1 Output 12V 2A. This has been okay in the 6 months or so of use but this mains adaptor does get fairly hot if left in continuous use. Apart from leaving it overnight on standby once weekly to download & update the 14 day EPG I switch it off by removing the adaptor from the mains socket. Rather than a wall socket I am using a FLAT extension socket and perhaps this helps to dissipate the heat better.

The Topfield 5800 plugs in directly to the mains socket. (no adaptor PSU). Must have
    the transformer/rectifier inside the machine. Which also means of course that the machine itself gets hotter. Perhaps that is why the Topfield casing is so full of holes.
    Of the two the Digifusion is the easier machine to use and software and messages download automatically. The picture quality in the Topfield is marginally better when used on the same aerial but its two coaxial inputs (one for each tuner) annoy me and so does the fact that firmware updates have to be made by PC connection. Also I do not think that the latter is worth the extra £100. For simplicity and easy day to day use I prefer using the Digifusion.

24. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    great news - i'll probably keep the 200 its much quieter than the old one, I would be interested if you could upgrade the HDD.

25. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    Just bought one of these and am so far very pleased!

Could someone answer a couple of questions please:

1) After changing something in the setup menu (eg Screen type to 16:9) how do you get back to watching TV?? Is it using the cancel button a couple of times or is there another way?

2) Does the EPG get downloaded everynight and does the unit need to be in standby or does it still work if the unit is left on?

Thanks very much

26. MKPatrick

MKPatrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    So far the only way i've seen of getting back to TV is hitting "Cancel" a few times.

The EPG will download provided you have channel 704 in your favourites and the machine is in standby. the EPG will not download if a scheduled recording takes place (not an issue very often at 0300 hours). If you miss a download it catches up the next night.

27. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Two Questions please
    1)
    is there a way to choose which tuner to view.
    If you are recording two things - can you choose which one to watch???
    2)
    Can you record from the scart plug at all?

28. awhb

awhb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes! :smashin:
    No! :thumbsdow
    There are no PVRs that can record from an Aux-In. I wish there were, that would satisfy my needs perfectly too, but right now you need a DVD/HDD recorder to do that (and there are very few with Freeview/Digital tuners!) :mad:

29. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    etaf - your posting may have confused some people.

Of course, you can record from the scart PLUG - just connect scart socket 2 to your
    vcr or dvd recorder. Or connect scart socket one thru either the vcr or dvd recorder to your TV Or as it says in the manual connect both scart sockets directly to two TV's via scart leads.

If you mean will it record via the scart sockets onto the PVR hard disk then as awhb states the answer is NO. The two scart sockets are only outputs. The PVR will not accept video inputs from other sources.

I frequently record DVD-R discs from recordings on the PVR by connecting scart 2 to one of the inputs on either my Panasonic or JVC dvd recorders.

30. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    thanks AWHB and ROYOLD - I currently record off the PVR to DVD but wanted to do the otherway round from a RAMDISK to PVR. which I know now you cannot :(

AWHB - how do you choose which tuner to watch mine seems to default to one