Digifusion FVRT200 - Lost all recordings (not a compression issue!)

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Ramases, Mar 19, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Ramases

Ramases
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

I went away last week and set my FVRT200 to record a long list of programmes. On getting home yesterday, all was well with a list of 20 or so titles ready and waiting, with about 15% of HDD space remaining. I viewed a couple of them last night and planned to start watching the rest today. But overnight, the whole lot were wiped! I had NOT (and never have) used the compression facility, and only one (old) recording was in LP mode (the rest in SP). To say the least I am mightly p****d off. I've had two of these unints (one went US after a couple of weeks) and everything has been fine to date with the new one. Does anyone have any ideas why this may have happened?
    :mad:
    Tech info: SVN = 0.0.9, BLV = 1.0.6 & HWV = 1.1

I'm copying this to the tech guys at Digifusion, but I don't expect much help given that we'vew been promised software updates for this machine foir months and nowt has happened!!
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif
    :mad:

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    If you have one recording on LP, old or not, then you have used compression on your machine. There are numerous postings on this forum and on Digital Spy forum telling you not to use LP or EP.

Stick with SP recordings only. 15% remaining disk space remaining isn't all that much either. The machine uses the HDD to store the 14 day epg and other config info. Most probably though the fact that you have an LP recording has caused the loss of recordings.

3. Ramases

Ramases
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is though that the LP recording had been on the HDD for a couple of weeks and it had not casued a problem in all that time.

When I said I'd not used compression I meant that I had not compressed *after* making the recording - which is where the problem seems to have occured with other users.

If the fact that the HDD was down to 15% had been the problem, then surely it would have caused the loss of data *before* I had viewed (and deleted) the programmes last night (and hence freeing up disc space)? If the fact that getting down to 15% is going to cause a problem, then surely the software should detect this and have warned me? I guess this is (another) software issue .... or maybe I'm missing something?

P.S. I'll post Digifusion's reply if / when I get one.

:rolleyes:

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,309
    I'm with Royold on this. It has been reported that it isn't exactly the act of compressing a file that immediately causes the loss. It can occur some time later - perhaps if/when the thing does some sort of HDD housekeeping or similar - which was maybe triggered by your deleting stuff.

Until Fusion deliver the fix (which I gather, has been coded, but it seems the OTA mechanism was killing boxes) the simple rule is to NOT use LP or EP at all.