Digifusion DVR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by davidredge, Nov 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having narrowed down my DVR options to, erm, the three on the market (Pace Twin, Thmpson and Digifusion) i'm not looking for either a recommendation and reviews.

Each falls into my price bracket of £200 and offer the essential twin tuners. Which to go for?

2. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My only experience is the Digifusion. I'm totally hapy with it !!!

Regards

builder

3. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Digifusion. Regards, yt.

4. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what are the features of digifusion?

I've looked on the site, and what is tehe multigiude?

5. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to record onto another media, say DVD through the digifusion 100?

And, anyone know if i can check to see if the EPG is available in my area? Any how is this downloaded to the machine?

I understand this is a simple case of a sky-type EPG and hitting green will record programmes. Is it that simple? is the EPG clear and simple?

I've also heard that 'chase recording' (or whatever its called) is on its way to the Digifusion. Any idea when?

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You can play out from the Digifusion Scart interface to a DVD recorder. The EPG is incorporated in the DTT transmission - you need do nothing to download it apart from ensuring your box is left on (or in standby overnight) since it is downloaded every night in the early hours. If you can receive all the DTT multiplexes you will automatically be able to get the epg. Yes, the epg is extremely easy to use - you can record programmes manually if you wish (the current epg is 7/8 days - but is scheduled to increase to 14 days) The software is supposed to be downloaded within the next week to facilitate 'Chase play' - this too is received OTA (over the air) and you need do nothing. Regards, yt.

7. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how can i check if we receive all the multiplexes?

I think we do, sine i've not heard of any DTT channels which we cant receive, including radio.

8. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  9. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Red

Well, its all in and awaiting the EPG download tonight! Exciting stuff. So far, i'm REALLY impressed - the picture quality is better then our previous STB (some Grundig rubbish).

I'm litterally just playing about and getting used to it, but yeah, it seems straightforward enough.

Its my understanding, that SP is the default recording setting, and can be compressed to LP and EP. Basically, i cant see much point in LP and EP (since timeshifting is the sole reason to own a PVR). Anyways, any idea whats an average maximum you can fit on the drive without compression?

10. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Picture quality. Before our Digifusion we had an old 'original' Philips OnDigital box. I must the quality of the reception on the Digifusion is miles ahead of the old box. I suspect receiver technology has really come on in the last few years since the original boxes.

Compression. The manual will tell you the disk capacity in all modes - of course it's a bit difficult to say what it would be if you recorded different programmes on different compressions. We record everthing in SP mode. On that note, ALL recordings are made in SP mode. If you have requested the program to be recorded in LP or EP then the programme is compressed down to the selected compression when the machine has a 'quiet' period. So, if you ask for a recording to be made in EP mode it will record it in SP mode - IF you play the programme back a short while after you have recorded it then it will replay it in SP mode (you will 'falsely' be impressed by the apparent quality of EP mode !) If however you play the programme back some time after you record it then the chances are that the box will have by then compressed it to EP mode and that's how it will be replayed to you - I gather the quality is much reduced on the EP mode !) I know it is early days and you have probably not concentrated on the manual yet but it has some interesting points about the colour of the symbols next to programmes that are/have been recorded.

EPG. Some owners have said that it can take 2/3 nights to get the box to 'update' to the latest software. I think as standard the box is supplied with with 1.6.3 (?) software but needs 1.6.4 (?) software to correct a few bugs (your current software is shown in one of the sub menus off the Set Up menu). During this initial update some owners have reported that the box appears to have 'frozen' overnight during the software/epg download and a mains off/on has had to be applied to get the box to unlock - for some people this happens 2/3 nights after initially installing the box. If this happens to you - don't get worried, you are one of many. Be assured that after this initial 'hiccup' which lots of owners suffer from it then goes on to behave perfectly well.(well, as advertised on the box). Regards, yt

11. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The point on the software update is interesting. Mine has been on for a week now - although it has the full EPG it refuses to update from 1.6.3.

I'm very pleased with the unit. My first one failed after 2 days. The replacement one has been reliable and is also significantly quieter than the first. I've been a little suprised at how hot it runs, so have given it a bit more space in the cabinet. Certainly easy to use and might well ease me away from Sky in the near future.

EffTee

12. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The box has plentt of room in the cabinate - the space used to house an aging (large) VCR and grundig curved box so all should be fine in the heat department. Plenty of space behind the unit (the back has been removed) too.

Hopefully, we'll get an update soon. I'd image that software updates are not as frequent as EPG programming.

Judging by the estaimate free space i'd guess about 15 hours is possibile on SP. Its on 20% for the 3 hour Little Britain marathon tonight (set using the manual recording!). I'll set a few recordings up on LP and EP to see how the quality deteriorates, but lets be fair 15 hours is perfectly adequate for me!

13. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
  14. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another query. I have no recordings, however, a small amount of hard disk space is being used - is this for the EPG or is something wrong?

Also, a 2 hour recording seems to take about 20% of diskspace on short play. Obviously i can compress this, but i'm thinking of over xmas and an impending yuletide break... things may be getting a bit tight on the disk. Looking at other PVRs - such as the Pace 1 hr recording seems to equal 1GB, so mine seems a bit excessive. We are set up for widescreen 16:9 does this make a difference. Any thoughts on this. How much space does a 2-hour recording take on your Digifusion?

15. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, 16:9 programmes take no more space than 4:3 so it is not a factor. I think the point you raise about a small amount of disk space being used up with no recordings may be due to 2 things - there is a short 'self-promotion' clip on the disk as supplied - you can delete it although its only a couple of minutes long you will not gain much space. Secondly, and I'm going out on a limb here, as the box can pause for up to 30 minutes during normal viewing then perhaps it has to reserve this space on the disk ? - obviously there would be nothing you could do about this or the fact that possibly some essential software files may also reside on the disk? The only way to gain space is to replace the hard disk (some users have successfully upgraded the disk to a Samsung 120GB - have a look on one of the DigitalSpy forums) or experiment with LP/EP modes and see if you are happy with the quality or dump programmes off to another device via the scart (VHS DVD etc). Regards, yt.

16. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi davidredge,

If you want to know everything there is to know about this box look at the Digital spy forum. be warned, Broadband is essential and you'll need a couple of hours to read through the whole lot but it is the oracle.

Regards

builder