Digifuison FVRT200 Problems

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by sh18, May 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi all, bought my FRT200 from here a while back, worked like a dream until a couple of days ago when i noticed the tuners were acting up and now i get the dreaded 'please wait' message that a lot of Digifusion owners have had, i know a common cause of this is the PSU but mine came with an upgraded 3A PSU instead of the standard 2A plug. Could this still have caused the malfunction? Ive tried opening it up but its almost impossible as the box doesnt used ordinary screws (hard to explain), does anyone have any suggestions? i dont really want to get rid of such a great recorder.

2. FrankS

FrankS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    My first one worked great for 14 months then one fo the tuners packed up, I got a refurb one from Fusion but it only lasted 3 months and was much noisier than the first. They do suffer from the heat, some people have removed the case or upgraded the fan to improve cooling.

I gave up and bought a Toppy.

3. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The hard drive runs all the time in the Digifusions which causes the heat buildup unless well ventilated. I have three of them but they are all switched off at the mains plug when not in use.

Left on standby overnight once weekly on a time-switch to allow downloading and updating of the 14 day EPG.

Never had any trouble with mine although I did purchase a 60 watt spare psu from Digidave. This is capable of 5 amps @ 12V so there is less strain on this unit than the 3A model psu. Digifusion replacements were later upgraded to the 5A 12V psu.

http://***********/a9j2b

4. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83

Try reformating the hard drive with it connected to a latop or computer. I got things going again doing that for a little while longer. In fact with Karl Es tool for reading the conents on the Fusion hard drive I was able to recover recordings I thought I had lost when I tried the format option from the PVR earlier on in the diagnostics.

5. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    thanks for the replies, looks like ill have to try the PSU from Digidave then, i would try reformatting the hard drive but the cover is so hard to get off, any suffestions on hot to do this, its not aatched using normal screws.

6. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Its a torx screw set which you could probably buy very cheaply from a pound stretcher type shop. Some screwdriver sets come with them in the box.

7. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    right after spending many an hour trying to fix the unit nothing has worked, have tried an external master reset but didnt do much, tried formatting the HDD using the box itself and connected it to my PC and formatted it fully that way but all i get now is 'pls wait' it wont even load up :( ill be putting this in the for sale section shortly as faulty but repairable if anyone is interested have a look out for it, time to get a Toppy i think!

8. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
  9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,310
    The symptoms you describe are typical of Power Supply problems. This can be either in the external unit, or inside the set itself (or both) and are usually the result of prolonged overheating - been used in a confined space or stack.

If replacing the external PSU does not work, then I gather some capacitors inside the unit itself may have failed and need replacing.

10. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    One other possibility is the flash has become corrupted - assuming the box boots from the run bin on that rather than the hdd (as you have formatted that)

If it corrupts, then the box hangs, easily cured by reflashing the run bin file.

You need to connect to the serial port on the fusion - full instructions at http://technonotice1.googlepages.com/reflash.html , and a five minute job, no need to open the box even.

This really is a must do mod to the fusion, to make it more user friendly, ie to replace the dodgy background and no scenes message.