1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digifire problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by philipb, May 27, 2003.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Weird problem with a new Dgifire 7.1 card.

After installing it into a free PCI slot, the PC gets as far as the Windows XP splash screen with the progress bar, and hangs. Just won't go any further. If I boot into safe mode and check device manager, the card is showing as an unsupported crystal wave audio device, Installing the latest drivers while in safe mode doesn't help. The next full re-boot just hangs again.

Can't get a response from Hercules support at the moment. Any ideas?

2. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Have you tried the putting the card in another free PCI slot for a start as this sometime helps if you are getting a conflict. Did you install the drivers before putting the card in because sometimes you have to install them first before the card would be recognised. I would definitely try another PCI slot first and see what happens. If no joy let us know and I will try to help some more

Nathan

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Nathan

Tried it all. The strange thing is that it installed fine on another XP machine in the bedroom, and was OK on a Win ME machine.

Just had a thought - the bedroom PC is XP without SP1 (I think), the problem machine is XP with SP1 (definitely). Anyway I can strip out SP1?

4. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi
    Have you tried checking the internet for update drivers first?

Anyhow yues you can remove SP1 from XP just go to the add/remove programs in control panel and it is near the bottom.

Can`t be much more help I`m afraid without seeing the PC, unless anybody else has any ideas.

Nathan

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks Nathan.

All drivers are latest versions. Its now running fine with an old Gametheater XP pressed back into service which will even supply 6.1 channel sound with the latest version of Theatertek. so I may not risk all by uninstalling SP1 - then again I am the arch tinkerer so I'll probably try it.