1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digicam lens filters

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by pbickle, May 22, 2004.

1. pbickle

pbickle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a friend who is selling a number of filters from his standard SLR which I could use for my Digital SLR. Are there any filters which could give effects which cannot be achieved in a standard image editing program like photoshop?

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    Hi pbickle and welcome to the forum.

I personally always have a skylight etc filter on the front of any camer/camcorder lens as it is far cheaper to replace the filter than get the lens replaced! The filter only has a small effect on the PQ.
    I also think that many filters can not be recreated in the PC like starlight etc and some will improve the quality of the picture such as polarising filters. But the other side of this is that with some effects you can try it with the digital effect to see if you like it and remove it if not! If you take a pic with a filter attached it can not normally be removed from the picture on a PC.

Mark.

3. pbickle

pbickle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - and I thought Photoshop could do anything :)

4. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I echo marks comments entirely

a skylight filter will have very little effect on teh picture - *but* it can offer vital protection to your lens if you drop the camera etc... As such, for £10 or whatever, its quite a good investment.

I think that the consensus generally is that PShop can do most anything to recreate filters *apart* from the effect that a polarising flilter can give.

I got myself a D70 last week, and need to go get me a polarizing filter soon - the increase in saturation is something i really like in a photo, and no reflections is a godsend.

HTH

Stu

5. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    A natural density filter can always be helpful to create affects not necessarily available in photoshop.