Digibox - which one?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by burgor57, Aug 10, 2006.

1. burgor57

burgor57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered a new 43" Pioneer Plasma and Denon 2910. For TV I use an old model Sky Digibox and Sky Digital satelite dish to pick up the free to view channels.

I want to know if updating my older Panasonic digibox to a newer model will help me get the most from watch TV on the new plasma. I only have a scart output on my Panasonic at present - but it does out RGB.

I am not considering Sky-HD just yetm but wonder if there are any Digiboxes with quality output, even with an HDMI out?

Is there a recommended digibbox to go for for best picture/sound, and I would like to include a hard disk recorder in the model too.

Hope you guys in the know can help on this and anything else related I may not have thought about.

Thanks

PS: is there a way on this forum to recieve notifications of replies to this thread?

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    You have to come back and look for replies.

The Pace BSKYB3100 is reportedly the best of a bad bunch. It's a Sky-Plus Digibox (obsolete) and contains a Hard Drive. Judging by reports here and elsewhere, the SKY+ models are not as reliable as people might like. It has SCART and S-VIDEO outputs, as well as optical digital audio.

Obviously you are not going to get HDMI out except on a HD box.

The Sky picture/sound quality is limited by the compression system used. It will never be perfect - especially on moving scenes like football games.

3. burgor57

burgor57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I will go look for a review of that digibox. Didn't sound 'wonderful' though. If I wanted to go down the Sky-HD route, can I assume quality would be significantly improved then?

4. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Yes, High Definition picture quality is much better than standard definition - when it works!

5. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    You can automate the replies by clicking on the "Thread tools" drop down menu, and click on "subscribe to this thread". You will then get mails when replies are put in :smashin:

Cheers

Andy