Digibox RGB to E50 and S-VHS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by numskull, Dec 8, 2003.

1. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - need some help people!

We have a Panasonic Sky digibox, an E50 DVDR and a JVC S-VHS video. I want to try to feed the RGB signal from the TV Out (AV1 – RGB enabled) from the digibox to both the E50 and the JVC. I have tried connecting the TV Out to a Scart Splitter Box - one feed to the E50 and one to the JVC then feeding the AV1 from the E50 to the AV1 input (RGB in) on the Philips 32" WS TV and from the JVC to AV3. I've found the picture to be terrible from the E50 - colours all smeared and and over/under saturated however, the picture from the JVC is fine! The only way to get a decent picture is to use the AV2 comp output of the digibox to the splitter box onto the E50 and JVC, then onto the Aunt Nellie, which kinda defeats the object. Any idea what the best way is to go to achieve this, or give-up and just connect the digibox to the E50 from the TV out and the JVC from Video out. Any help appreciated.

Regards.... Num

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    What is exactly you want to do?

To be able to record from sky stb to your VCR as well as the E50?

Unless your stb has S-Video out then the VCR will record in composite and NOT RGB, even though it's outputting RGB.

If no s-video out on stb then...

simply connect the vcr to the aux scart on the stb (composite though)

Or..

You could connect the s-video out of the E50 to the s-video in of the VCR. This will give you the optimum quality when recording from stb but the E50 will need to be on and set to the scart AV input that the stb is connected to. This could be restrictive.

Or loop thru the scart.....

stb>vcr >E50> TV (AV1)

stb>E50>TV (AV1)

Either way you will still get composite in the VCR and I still see retrictions with each recording device having to be on and set at the correct AV input, if your JVC VCR is like mine and cuts the scart signal when in standby mode, i.e. NO LOOP THRU :(

The reason the quality is poor is because you dividing the signal with the SCART splitter.

Ideally you need to use a more expesnive AMPLIFIED SCART SPLITTER that runs off the mains.
    I used to have one of these and they give excellent pic and sound quality (no deterioation).
    This is another alternative.

I'll be in the same position as you soon when I get my Pan HS2 to go along with my cable stb, Freeview stb, DVD Player and JVC SVHS VCR....which i'm not looking forward to connecting up!

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB out from Sky to the E50.
    If you have Sky+ or a newer digibox you can separately connect the s-video out from Sky to your JVC.If you don't have s-video from Sky,you cannot record decent quality on the JVC anyway,so take it out of the recording loop.With a dvd recorder you don't want to be using a vcr(spits) do you?
    Actually Kevo,take the vcr out of your equation too,and you can loop all your stuff using RGB

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I'll probably need to keep my VCR permanatley connected to the HS2 (when I get it!) as I have several tapes that I want to transfer to DVD and vice versa (from HD to VHS).

5. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the advise chaps.

Hmmmm - didn't realise that the S-VHS recorded in composite! :blush: No, the Sky box is old - maybe three years old, so I presume it won't have S-Video out from the VCR OUT scart, so I think I'll just use the AV1 TV-OUT scart from the STB to the E50 then onto the TV and the VCR OUT to the S-VHS then to the TV. Oh well, pull it all out again.... :rolleyes:

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    In which case you have another option and is what I use but forgot to mention!

However you would need to purchase a 'RGB to S-Video Converter' from www.rgbtosvideo.com .

This in affect acts like a splitter. One scart goes into the box and two output, one is RGB (to E50) and the other is S-video (to vcr).
    The build and quality is excellent. Recommended.