digibox reception

S

shelle

We just bought a digibox. On the whole reception is good, but every so often screen goes blank or we get coloured boxes flash across the screen. We also sometimes lose sound briefly. We've set up as instructed - aerial to digibox, rf to video, scart from digibox to tv + digibox to video.

We also have to have digibox on to receive analogue channels now as well, without it picture is really fuzzy.
Digibox has taken over the video channel (av1 output on tv) so we can't record analogue.

I'm probably being very thick, but is above normal and are there any ways around any of it?

Thanks
Shelle

SKY Digital?

If so then the installation was faulty as you should not be getting intermitent breakup of a channel due to loss of signal.
It could be the result of a missaligned dish, faulty LNB, damaged cable or interconnectors on that cable or even a faulty tuner in the digibox. If it was installed by SKY or an independent then you are have a 12 month warranty, use it.

For normal viewing the aerial RF cable does not need to be connected to the digibox, it can go straight into the VCR and then pass through to the TV.
That way your VCR can record terrestrial analogue usign the normal 1,2,3,4 and 5 stations presets and with the digibox connected to the VCR with a scart cable record SKY using AV1 or what ever the VCR designates as the scart input.

Starburst

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I've only just looked at it - kids ill !

It's not sky - just a digibox to get free to air digital channels. Followed instructions for connection. Is your advice different?

Originally posted by shelle
We just bought a digibox.

With a bit of luck there should be a way of checking the signal strength. Consult the instruction manual to find out how.
If the signal strength is moderate to poor then this would explain your dodgy digy picture. If this is the case then you might need a better aerial.

Good luck. ;)

Starburst

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I've only just looked at it - kids ill !

It's not sky - just a digibox to get free to air digital channels. Followed instructions for connection. Is your advice different?

Sorry my mistake:blush:
I associate "digibox" with SKY and assumed everybody else did and I switched off to the rest of your question:)

Can you split the aerial before it reaches the digibox?
That way you should be able to record analogue on your VCR direct from the aerial and record digital from the digibox via a scart cable.

You might find some info here.....Freeview

Starburst

Sorry I'm being a complete technophobe here - how do you split it?
At present I have aerial into digibox and rf from digibox to video. Scart leads are from digibox to tv and also one from digibox to video. I have another available scart socket on my tv but not video.

Thanks

Starburst

Sorry I'm being a complete technophobe here - how do you split it?

You use a Y splitter, but I think this is confusing the issue. Your problem seems to be a poor digital picture even though the box says excellent signal reception. This gives me the only conclusion that the box is somehow faulty. But what type of box is it? Make and model?
Splitting the incoming aerial signal between the vcr and digibox using a Y splitter will reduce the signal possibly making things worse. I use a pace FTA digibox. If yours is different then perhaps someone with your type of box will be able to answer your querie.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom