Digibox Problem (?) for Newbie

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Rock Da Bass, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    Hi,

I got sky installed about a month ago so fairly new to what to expect.

My digibox (an amstrad) seems to freeze up every couple of days at unexpected moments. This is resolved by unplugging and replugging (effectively a reboot I suppose). It's a right pain in the bottom sometimes.

Basically I was wondering if this is normal for a satellite digibox and we just have to live with it or is mine just plain knackered, or the other possibility is that it's a problem specific to Amstrad boxes.

Thanks for any help.

RDB :confused:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    No it is not normal, don't be afraid to pester SKY if you are having problems as you are paying a subscription and the hardware is under warranty.
    They'll probably get you to try various reset/reboot methods before they send an enginner out but as a consumer you deserve a digibox that doesn't freeze/lockup on a regular basis.

The odds are it's software related, since the middle of last year the Planner software had been the root cause of the majority of digibox problems.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May not be related but the Phillips Ondigital boxes used to freeze up if you had a poor signal. A hard reset was all you could do. Even if this is the case, you should not have to put up with it. Get on to Sky and if they fail to solve it, get a different box (Panasonic or Sony).

S

4. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    Thanks for your input guys.

I'll give Sky a phone. :)

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a problem that occurs on many of the boxes since the PP update. Usually it happens as you are changing channels or moving up/down the channels.

Other similar bugs are going to QVC or sky one when you havent chosen that channel or going into interactive without being asked.

It's quite well documented on the sky newsgroups and sky seem to be ignoring the problem.

6. SAMADALE

SAMADALE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I HAD AN AMSTRAD BOX SUPPLIED BY SKY A FEW WEEKS BEFORE CHRISTMAS AND HAVE HAD NONE OF YOUR PROBLEMS AT ALL.

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your keyboard stuck on Caps Lock or what...........stop shouting...............!!!!!!!

8. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    Just posting a follow up:

Phoned Sky customer servie line and kept getting put in an indefinite queue and ending up hanging up after 10, 15 minutes or whatever, or got a message 'all our adviers are busy etc etc' followed by their end hanging up. Then found by calling the Sales number I got right through (surprise surprise) and got them to transfer me. will just use the sales line from now on. Also, I found it hilarious how the woman was annoyed and told me in future I should call the correct line.

Anyway, regarding the 'freezing up' problem, they sent out an engineer who checked the signal and found it to be OK. He then concluded there was a problem with the box without any inspection or need for an explanation of what had been happening.

A futher engineer was sent out to replace the box. In the great Sky digibox lottery I got a Grundig to replace my Amstrad. Oh well at least it's silver instead of black. Was hoping for a Sony or Panasonc

The reason I'm posting this is to let people know if they want their digibox changed for any reason, then they could use the 'freezing up' problem as a cover because they don't seem to question it too much. It was genuine in my case but how are they to know that? And the good thing is, it comes out of Rupert Murdoch's pocket!

RDB:)