1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

digibox+phone+broadband help!

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by finnis, Jun 16, 2004.

1. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got broadband in my house, but having had the dreaded letter from sky telling me to connect up my second box, I'm having problems connecting my digibox and digital cordless phone to the same phone extension.

Bottom line is that sharing in this way leads to line noise when using my phone. I've got a filter on each device, but the phone doesn't like being connected to the extension at the same time as sky. I've connected both filters to the extension by way of a splitter.

Has anyone done this successfully? If so, how?

I've read that filters vary wildly in quality so wonder if it's worth getting some new ones. Or is it just my phone?

Help!

2. Beepcake

Beepcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If i'm reading this right then you have sky+phone+bband into one socket? If that's the case you should have the microfilter into the wall socket and then the ADSL and extension/splitter into that. You should only need more than one filter if you are using more than one socket.

Sorry if i've missed the point :p

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have trouble like this. I have a digi phone and a fax and a sky box. Connecting all 3 drops the ADSL. I can have 2 but not 3! Strange but I just disconnect the fax until I need it.

AS a matter of interest, I tried Fujitsu filters (the 'best') and they failed to connect. I use £1.50 Ebuyer filters and they work a treat.

DOn't spose this helps you much. If you have a long line like me or a high loss figure then other phones may affect your ADSL. I'm actually going to get a seperate voice line shortly as my ADSL is OK but drops when I get phone calls from certain people but not others.

Go figure.

4. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have this problem as well. Surely Sky will run into this issue more and more as people get broadband. In my case I had to wire the sky phone feed directly into the back of the main BT socket then plug the filter/splitter into the front of the main socket which then splits into ADSL and the normal phone.

Has anyone tried telling Sky that their system doesb't work over an ADSL enabled line?

James

5. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Think I've sorted it.

Wasn't anything to do with the digibox, phone or filters. Turns out it was the splitter. What I had was a “privacy adapter” which is a splitter which has the added benefit of ensuring that if you are using a modem, if someone picks up the phone it won't drop your connection.

Unfortunately, my phone and digibox didn't like sharing it. The things you learn, eh? Just a cheapo, normal splitter shoudl sort it.

Thanks for your help anyway, guys.

Stereo, nothing to do with exceeding the REN figure is it? Just something I picked up while researching my problem.

James, I think the vast majority of people with ADSL and Sky don't have this problem otherwise there'd be much more info on it. I think, hopefully, I've cured my particular problem but I have heard that some people have experienced situations where their onscreen menus say the digibox is connected but they still end up getting letters from sky saying they aren't!

6. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly this problem - sky were adamant that the solution was fine with ADSL + digiphones + multiple sky boxes + broadband. They said they'd tested extensively with all broadband filters/providers.

I had a huge row with them in the end they suggested changing the broadband filter out - even if it was 'working' I did... replaced it with brand new one and bingo its all working....b'rd thing.

I thought it was the new ADSL Wireless router I'd installed but no it was the filter was duff enuf to kill sky - yet all my other devices appeared to work fine spooky.

7. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    both our boxes say they are connected but when you try and do an astra channel scan (and the callback afer) - the callback fails. However in the last few days I have suddenly been able to vote online and do various other phone things (but the callback still fails). I have just got off the phone with sky and they say one (the sky+) box has been calling back since 2 weeks ago (installed 2months ago) --- however, the regular sky box has not called back for 2 years (installed 2 and a half years ago). So both boxes fail the callback (but one of them does it fine every now and again its just not telling me it is...). They have both suddenly been able to do online votes and stuff (which only a few weeks ago they couldnt do)
    Final advice, try waiting a bit and it may be sorted out by itself.. bloody sky and their buggy software...

8. walkern

walkern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've currently got the same problem. I've got the SKY+ and phone connected to the initial BT socket coming into the house via a splitter. The broadband router is upstairs and is connect into the back of the BT box via a six strand extension lead. For the ADSL router to show SHOWTIME I have to disconnect the SKY+ otherwise it show's READY and have no Internet access. I though it was cause the SKY+ has got a hard code REN number, but now unsure. Help, cause SKY keep sending me nice letters saying I owe them money for not have the SKY+ connect to the phone line. The micro filter were purchased from eBuyer.
    Any help is appreciated

9. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd try another brand of filter. one of my filters is useless on my sky+ box (says not connected) but works fine on my normal sky box in another room.

10. Member 231429

Member 231429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Put one filter in your initial BT socket and connect the splitter to the filter. Then put another filter at the end of your extension lead upstairs and connect the ADSL router into that filter. It should work this way.

11. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Had the same problem. Got a new filter and all was fine..

12. walkern

walkern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, which filter did you purchase ?

13. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Every phone, modem, fax machine should be connected to the phone line via a filter even if you do not connect the broadband at that point. If you do not do this the ADSL will not work very well and you will get noise on your phone line.

The filters divert the low frequencies (voice, modem tones etc) to the phone socket and divert the high frequencies to the ADSL socket and thus to your boadband modem/router.

If you do not use a filter then the high frequencies get into your phone or modem which causes noise on the line. This also reduces the level of the ADSL signal which will cause the broadband to fail.

HTH

Dave

14. walkern

walkern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a filter on the end of the incoming telephone and one on the extention lead. I've now replaced them with BT brand filters. Still have the problem with Sky+, if connected BB fails, but if the normal phone connected in the same socket all is fine..
    I'm thinking that I might now have to get a REN Extender.

15. Clown

Clown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Sorry for bumping this old thread but I figured "Search" was better than "New Thread".
    Anyway, I have ADSL. Microfilter goes into the phone line, phone line splitter into microfilter. It works fine. I dunno if it's related, I just took the phone wire from the back of my Digibox out altogether. Would it stop my Sky from displaying every channel?

16. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    If you've disconnected the phone line, I guess that you are out of the initial 12 months contract with Sky or that you don't have multiroom?

Not having the phone line connected won't affect the box's ability to display channels although you won't be able to order anything off box office or make use of some of the interactive features.

John

17. Clown

Clown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I've just started my Multiroom subscription after over a year of just one room. I pulled the wire out of the second box and it now it doesn't show any channels, saying that there are problems with the channel or something. Every channel. I'll check the connections and everything from the dish to the box later and, if it looks alright, I'll reconnect the phone line. If none of that helps then I'll just phone Sky.

Just needed to find out if the telephony connection would automatically stop sky from letting me watch it :) It wasn't connected to the phone line before, but I thought removing the wire altogether might affect it. It's wierd though. It's able to tell me what program is on and what time it started and the next program and stuff. It just won't show me the channel.

18. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    It shouldn't stop you watching the channels. However, the T&C's for multiroom state that you MUST have both boxes connected to the same phone line forever.

John