Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Digibox for a dish already installed

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by ricke, May 27, 2002.

1. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've recently moved to a house which has already got a Sky digital dish and a cable that runs to the (rather perfectly HC sized) lounge. ....wot :confused: .. that's a perfectly good reason to move house ..isn't it :confused:

What's the best option of getting hooked up to Sky ? Just go out a buy a sky receiver and card and plug and play , or get sky or some local installer to to the install.

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you are gona subscibe to sky it may work out cheeper just just to get an install through sky . digi boxes are not the cheepest thing to buy .

get it done through sky and you know there are gona be no problems . you never know how well aligned the dish is . if you get a second hand box you never jknow what nic it is in . i got one that looked fine but it failed in 2 weeks :mad: .

3. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, squid. I guess it'll be pot luck (reading the other threads) as to which digi box i'll get then ... I was hoping to go and get a "decent" brand box (whatever that is) from the local retailer and plugging it in. Can't I do this and get SKY/another installer involved if there are problems ?

Also, is there much difference between using SKY or another local installer ??

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If you go through some of the smaller, "approved" Sky Installers you sometimes get to choose which digibox you want. This is what we did and we eventually managed to find one who was prepared to order the box we wanted if, and when we signed up with them (presumably so they got the commision for a new contract aswell as the install?) - they did us a good deal on the installation price too if I recall correctly :)

My personal experience is that small dealers generally offer better service both for installations and after sales - Sky tend to be rather "in and out" asap... :rolleyes:

Kelvin :D

5. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that kelvinp, i'll keep that in mind.

Hoping to sort something out this weekend, will ring up some local installers from the thompsons or yellow pages (unless someone knows of a decent one in the Pinner area?).