Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DigiBox AV positioning

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by MrJubbly, Jan 15, 2002.

1. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I posted this question along with various others recently, but not had much of a response:

"In general, where do most people position their box (receiver/tuner) in their AV set-up, in terms of audio and video connectivity? Personally I would have thought that you’d position it like any other AV component. I.e. everything through the Amp."

I had a good reply from Doubledoom but would be interested to know what configuration other people adopt, specifically those that us an AV Amp in their set-up.

Thanks

MrJubbly

2. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was living alone I would route everything through my amp. The loss of picture quality on s-video (I use a Sky+ box), using decent cables, through a Denon AVC-A1D would be very small.

As it happens I don't live alone so the digital audio output goes to the amp and the phono sound output and s-video output go straight to the TV.

The wife likes to use the digibox without the amp in the way!

I have my digibox on my A/V rack and is regarded the same as any other source device.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I connect EVERYTHING direct to the TV.
    I only have audio going to the amp.

I don't want to switch on the amp everytime I watch the TV.
    It would sound irritating after a while.

Besides my amp, like most doesn't have RGB connections.

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, you mentioned you know mine but i will post it for the benefit of others.

All video and audio goes to the tv via scart apart from the DVD player which has a digital optical connection to the amp and component video to the tv. The tv then has a 2x phono connection to the amp to carry the vcr, tv and sky audio in a single connection.

This saves the need for any audio/video switching, apart from the dvd player and allows me to use component video and RGB for my sources.

5. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all my sources (VCR, DVD, LD, Sky) I have video connected directly to the TV and audio to the amp. I always watch every source with the amp on.

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    All my sources, Sky, VCR, LD, Playstation go via composite to the amp with audio, then composite to scart into TV.
    DVD is RGB scart to TV and optical to amp for audio.
    I did toy with the idea of looping my Sky through my Pioneer 737 for RGB, but it means a lot of messing about, and to be honest, I'm not too worried.