1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

digi sender...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by briandzo, Dec 27, 2002.

1. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone used a digisender ?

what is the quality like.
    is it as good as your RGB connections.

i want to setup home cinema in the bedroom.
    and want to transmit my sky digibox image to a
    plasma TV.
    because as far as im aware plasma tellys dont use
    RF i/ps.

anyway if this box transmits the RGB sigal and stereo audio
    then this sounds v good.

but if there anything like wireless home phones then it will be next to useless.

thanks

brian.........

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +753
    The cheap video senders (40-100 quid) normally use composite video ; therefore, they will never be as good as RGB (or as s-video or component either).
    That said, I use one as a link to the portable TV in the bedroom & it's certainly ok on a 14-inch TV.
    Mine was 50 quid from ToysRus 6 months ago.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. Tony_Cook

Tony_Cook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used one from a Pace Digital Cable box to a portable TV in the bedroom and the quality was acceptable. It was prone to interference though, I guess from the fridge and central heating.
    You should also be aware that there are only four chanels to pick from so a neighbour could easily intercept the signals.

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Forget a digi sender, I use one to a small TV upstairs, but if you've got a plasma it deserves a better signal, as said it's only composite and it will pick up some interference.

5. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use one Digi-Sender and three receivers in my house and I have to say the picture quality is perfectly fine - sure, none of my other TVs are bigger than 22" but the PQ is great (certainly better than via their portable arials!) - No loss of PQ as far as I can see.

The transmit range is not an issue. I do have one big problem though (ah, two problems come to think of it. No three!)

The remote control send / receive system is subject to rfi interference from other hifi kit. i.e. if I put the transmitter on my hifi rack then pictures are transmitted fine (via Microwave) but the remotes (which use radio) do not work in the other rooms. If I move the sender off my rack and onto a speaker it all works fine.

If I use my microwave oven, or, more annoyingly, my neighbour does, then the picture is unwatchable during this.

Also, I have a Wi-Fi (80221b) wireless lan at home. This needs to be turned off else it sends a pulsing interference to the picture and sound.

Overall, the product rocks as far as I'm concerned. I run my Tivo output through the transmitter so I have remote control of everything (inc. SKY) via my one Tivo remote in every room, in stereo. I just have to switch off my wireless base station when watching TV in the bath!

6. Martin68

Martin68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I need a high quality rgb sender, preferably one that is emune to interference when cooking with the microwave. A very long scart lead is totally out of the question because my two tv's are in opersite corners of a very large house, im using one plasma and one lcd tv and my plan is to use is with my Topfield 5800 pvr, composite video just dose not give the quality of rgb.
    a digital sender must exsist, because you can buy wirless routers for computers, and in sure they send signals in digital form!

7. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've never seen an RGB wireless sender, think you're out of luck there. To be honest what you'd gain in quality over composite would be offset by the inherent problems with wireless transmission.

They can't be immune to microwaves because they work on the same wavelength, and they can't resend corrupt data like 802.11g computer networks can (which also have the same problems).

Some people seem to get them to work fine, I'm lucky in that I can get a digi-sender and a wireless network to work (even if neither are great quality).

Slingshot