1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digi processing v no processing on off air analogue

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bert2, Mar 31, 2005.

1. bert2

bert2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    From what I have seen in the shops, pictures on large CRT sets with mega digital processing are much worse than on large 4x3 sets which don't have it. This applies to analogue as well as digital off air and also, it seems, to DVD. Is this due to poor set up in the shop or is it something to do with widescreen. I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic Acuity or Toshiba PS but am not willing to sacrifice PQ for a widescreen picture.

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi bert2. In my own opinion - 625 lines 4*3 tv delivered on UHF was designed in the 1950s before the concept of domestic very large screen tellys. In the early 1960s a 22" 4*3 telly in your average living room and watched from a distance of say 10 ft looked more than adequate. Since then of course the screen size of the average telly has grown in direct inverse proportionality to size of viewers living rooms where the telly normally sits. It doesn't help that television is now being delivered to your home using digital techniques that some would argue reduce the quality of the displayed picture. The telly itself is now full of digital processing that takes in this signal and adds even more digital processing to it before it reaches your eyes. It's no wonder that on some broadcast material the results can seem less than satisfactory. Today viewers do not realise that the although he or she might buy a BIG screen digital telly the source material is still mainly coming from a camera that still operates (by and large) to the same standards of that 1960's camera. A lot of the technology inside a telly is to overcome the built in problems of viewers who insist on watching a big screen telly right under their noses and then complain about the quality of the picture. For myself, I watch a modest 32" 16*9 telly fed via a Freeview receiver and watched and listened to from about 12 ft away - I have no complaints, so it seems to me that the most important criteria when buying a new telly is "what size screen do I need in order to be the correct viewing distance from it". As I say just my opinion. Regards, yt.

3. bert2

bert2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks red, i appreciate that. however I have been looking at the same picture in the shop on a current model 36" WS Tosh PS, Pany Acuity, sony & Philips, together with a 36" WS Tosh from before Picture screen and a 28" 4x3 Bush with, i suspect, no digital processing, all from about 8 feet distance. The latter two looked best and these are the ones without or with less processing. Since the screen height is the same on all I can only come to the conclusion that the less processing the better for analogue and DVD signals at least.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi bert2, 'Yes' - I agree with your last sentence, for analogue and digital signals no matter what the source. regards, yt.

5. system11

system11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bert2, I'm in exactly the same boat right now. If you find anything half decent please post here, check

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1576399#post1576399

for the list of TVs I've tried so far, depending on what you want, one of them might do the job.

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I value good picture performance which is why I own a 50Hz Wega with no digital processing - except SVM which does not effect RGB (DVD, Twin and internal DTTV Tuner all RGB)

7. bert2

bert2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In April, bought the Tosh 36ZP48 from JL for £849.99 incl delivery, pricematch with best internet after much persuading.

Very happy with it so far.